Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Rush 30th tour

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by nataku, Jul 10, 2004.

1. nataku

nataku

Jun 21, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    i went and saw rush 30th last night. all i gotta say is omfg...they blew my frickin mind. the best concert ive ever been to. yyz, tom sawyer, insane drum solo, and a 15 minute medley at the begginning with a mix of a bunch of their stuff. if anyone has the opportunity to go see these guys, i highly recommend it. close up seats are essential. but bring earplugs, cause im still recovering.

2. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Man, I would be like this --> :hyper: if they came to Edmonton. But so far I'm pretty sure they're not... :(

Glad you had fun though, I own Rush In Rio, and I can definitely see they put on an amazing (and very long!) show.

3. We saw them past Friday in San Francisco. Very good show. The whole band is unearthly talented but Peart is amazzzzzzzzzzing.

[​IMG]

4. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Saw them at Concord last night, Great show!!

I noticed in addition to the black&white fender, red, geddy now has a tobacco fender "geddy lee" that he pulled out for 2 songs.

I had great seating in the front section so it's def a show to remember.

5. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    I saw them last night in Concord too! Yes, it was a great show, but I have to say that I thought the show last year had a better set. I kind of lose interest in anything beyond Signals , but it was nice to see them dust off a chestnut from Grace Under Pressure (I can't remember the name of the song since the last copy of the album I had was vinyl). I don't remember any tobacco finish bass, but he did pull out the red custom shop Fender Jazz for the 2112 overture and The Temples. I am curious as to why he feels the need to tune a step down for that part of the show? I did some great people watching (this is not the most ethnically diverse crowd in town) and love to watch the people who dance to the tunes. It's either that or play air drums. Every drummer for one hundred miles around must have been at that show! I loved that Geddy's rig was two washing machines AND a vending machine!

6. The 2nd set had some mediocre songs.
    Lifeson's tone was awful--very buzzy.
    But it was still a great show.
    I thought the show I saw last year in Palm Beach, FL has a better set list. Still a must see act.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I saw them on the Houston stop. Great show, didn't even get rained on too much! I hadn't seen them in 10 years (since the Counterparts tour) and it was great seeing the boys again.

8. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    It was between the wheels that they pulled out from grace under pressure, that was cool ..those chords that lifeson let hang with the Drum/bass groove going just killed

I think he only pulled out that tobacco bass for one tune , not sure why...but since i got my tobacco sadowsky on the way i remember thinking "hey that looks like my bass!"

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    He's sporting that Tobacco Fender on the cover of Bass Guitar magazine. If I remember corrctly he said he uses the black Geddy for most of the set (standard tuned) and the red Geddy for the detuned YYZ, I think there was another tune with an alternate tuning he said he was going to use the Tobacco Geddy for.

10. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Awesome avatar KEB!

11. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Thanks for the heads-up. Yes, those chords kill, bit I think I like the opening keyboard lines the most. I must have missed the tobacco bass because of the meatbag in front of me that was wearing a Slayer t-shirt and refused to sit down the entire show. No big deal - he had no idea how much of a dork he looked like air-drumming the entire time.

12. bassjamn

bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Lol - Yeah air drummer heaven, i saw some guy full on headbanging to XANADU of all songs.
    :confused:

13. I know Geddy used a tobacco burst Fender for Driven in 1996 or so, right after Test For Echo came out, so it must have been his drop D bass back then. For Driven on Rush In Rio, he used a black jazz with tortoise pickguard, which is a beautiful bass that I'd like to see him use this tour. And what's this about a drop tuned YYZ?! I can't wait for August 21st.

14. 20 more days.. :help:

15. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    One great thing about this show was seeing all these historic Rush instruments in action, especially on Alex Lifeson's end. Geddy had the Jazz bass (that he recorded Moving Pictures with and then later Couterparts and everything after), but seeing Alex bust out with his classic white Gibson ES and doubleneck guitars was awesome. Too bad Geddy didn't bring along any of his Rickenbackers, doubleneck or otherwise.

16. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    dang, we gotta start making plans...

17. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Even for Geddy, singing the parts in 2112 in standard tuning is a bit of a stretch. Tuning down makes it a bit more reachable. Did you hear him on One Little Victory? It's tough...

BTW, take a look at my VIP section pix from the Seattle show here (they're in the Rush in Seattle album!).

18. Are you comin' here for the show? We should have a mini-TB get-together on that Sunday, then!

19. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    My whole band, + quite a few others. I guess we might have an underager or two this time though....

20. jb63

jb63

Jan 3, 2002
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I last saw Rush in 1996 on the TFE tour. Geddy used the red bass on 2112 (BTW:They played the whole thing, not just Temples, the whole first side of 2112!!!!!!!! I was absolutely tickled to death over that!!!!!) I sat close enough to see Geddys hands pretty good. They played that piece one step lower than the original recording. All four strings were tuned down not just the E string. Alex did the same as well.