Sadowsky 5 question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thewanderer24, May 28, 2004.

1. thewanderer24

Apr 29, 2002
    SJ, CA
    Hey all, I am in the market for a new bass, and am Gassing in a big way for a sadowsky.

I have always played 4's, but am thinking about making the jump to a 5, as there are certain things I play where that extra low string would really help.

Anyway, I am seriously considering investing in a Sadowsky Metro, and was wondering if you guys that are more familiar with the Sadowsky basses might be able to help me a little.

What kind of difference in the feel (i.e., looseness? etc.) of the B string have you noticed between the 21 fret fenderish models, and the 24-fret version??

What about tone differences between the 21 and 24 fret versions (and in this case, on all strings, not just the B)??

I appreciate any opinions and insights you guys have on these.

Thanks in advance.
  2. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Both the 24 fret 5 & 21 fret 5 have a 34" scale neck & the B is as tight as a.... well, really tight. I played all the NAMM 5 string basses that came through the shop & I wanted them all (that's becasue I'm nut's which is besides the point).

The 24 fret 5 with the Sadowsky soaps has a punchier, rounder sound. It is alot warmer, also.

The 21 fret 5's have the J sound down!!!!!
  3. NINO nails it on this 1....and he should!

Get the 24 if you want a more modern, fuller, rounded tone with the expanded range and get the 21 if you really want that straight ahead jazz tone.......the playability is exactly the same... you don't give up anything on either of them in my opinion....FWIW I have played both and I have a Vintage 21 fret 5 Metro on order now.....

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

+1 Sadowsky are my favorite 5 string bass, come to think about their my favorite solid body bass. Long Live Sadowsky Basses
  5. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    Just see Nino's post above. He stated it the best.
    You'll also get a tonal difference and feel difference if/when you slap, being that your thumb is about an inch or so closer to the bridge on the 24 fret model.
    Better or worse? Neither, just a little different. But none the less still killer!
    group yelling after Major:
    LONG LIVE SADOWSKY BASSES!!!!!!!! :hyper: