Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

sadowsky black pickguard question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 513rocks.com, Dec 4, 2005.

1. 513rocks.com

513rocks.com Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Mason, Ohio
    a couple months ago i bought a wonderful sadowsky uv70. natural ash with black pickguard and maple neck with black blocks and binding. i love everything about it except the pickguard. everytime i polish it, it swirls scratches BAD. where i slap and pop, there are a million little dot scratches right under the G string right below the neck pickup. the bass is still in mint condition but the pickguard looks 20 years old. i called sadowsky and i can get the same pickguard for 50.00 but it will just scratch up again in a couple months. ive never owned a bass with a black pickguard before, does this happen to all black pickguards? does anyone know where i can get a pickguard that wont scratch up so easy? i wonder if anyone makes a layered pickguard that is black/white/black/clear. if not, it would be a good idea. does anyone have any ideas or advice? i thought about maybe getting a tort pickguard but the black one looks too awesome...............

2. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    do a search for terrapin guitars- they do custom pickguards. ask about a matte black guard, it will resist scratches much better - them him you want a black matte guard that won't scratch easily, he will know exactly what to do. good luck!
    ( you may have to send him you guard or a tracing so he can make an exact copy)

3. Maybe Ultra Vintage means it ages to a vintage state ultra fast? It seems weird that you are experiencing so much wear though. I don't think it has to do with the color but I may be wrong. Why don't you give Mr. Sadowsky a call? No one has customer service like he does!

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    believe me, glossy pickguards get swirls and scratches, it just shows up more on the black. I seriously doubt it has anything to do with the vintage thing. I bought a used Sadowsky Tokyo that had an aftermarket matte black guard from terrapin because of this very reason. I sold the bass, by that time i had a black pearloid guard on it- i still have that matte black guard, and it shows no scratches, its a different material.

5. +1 Here as well...Black is beautiful BUT Tort is Better!! LOL, JK! I agree that the black is great but it will take the average player about 30 days to really see some serious "scarring" on a black guard. I also recommend Terrapin or Roger at Jeannies, both do great work and can help you out for about the exact same money. In my opinion, 1 is just as good as the other but I do perfer Rogers (Jeannies) Tort and have bought 3 Torts, and a Black Pearl from him and they were all top notch!!! Good Luck!

Peace,

T

6. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    I thought that's what pickguards were for... ;)

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

My Tokyo 5's pick guard scratched very easiley as well, check out Adrians recomendation.

8. 5bassman

5bassman Supporting Member

May 4, 2005
    Kennesaw,GA
    I recently purchased a bass and the pickguard was scratched pretty bad. I used a product made by Novus. It is a 3 step process but doesn't take long to do. The guard looks almost new now!
    http://www.noscratch.com/novus/

9. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    You could not play the bass and it'll be fully mint forever!!!!! :D

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    unless you get a mint green pickguard!
    :bag:

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

The problem with black is that it shows dirt and wear. I happen to think it's a good thing... I prefer basses that look like they've been played. If you think that's a bad thing, well... don't get black. :p