Sadowsky in distribution agreement with Warwick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by burk48237, Dec 16, 2019.

1. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    Posted on Sadowsky Guitars Facebook page today. Interesting, I have mixed thoughts.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

Wow. Seems like it's more than just distribution though:

"Warwick will build and distribute our Metro and MetroExpress instruments. Warwick will also distribute our strings and accessories. The new, Warwick-made Metro and MetroExpress Models will debut at the 2020 NAMM show at the Warwick/Sadowsky booth."

'Warwick/Sadowsky booth' just sounds odd! But hey, I like both companies. I've had Warwicks ever since I started playing in the 90's.

The distribution part is actually what surprises me, as Warwick does not have a good history of distribution (go right now and try to order some spare parts from their USA distributor).

pcake, BeefPie84, Sadowsky and 10 others like this.
  3. projectapollo

projectapollo Supporting Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Tennessee
    German (I hope its built in Germany) built Sadowsky Metro & MetroExpress sound high quality to me. Although the distinction between Metro and MetroExpress starts to blur, perhaps. Or maybe Warwick will just take over management of existing Metro and MetroExpress facilities.

4. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    I would be surprised if they were built in Germany, because of the price. Warwick can contract with the factories just as easily.

Beej, pcake, eadg98005 and 2 others like this.
  5. knumbskull

knumbskull

Jul 28, 2007
    UK
    I thought Metros were made in Japan. it will be interesting to see if this changes as I didn't think Warwick do any manufacturing there currently?

DJ Bebop likes this.
  6. James Collins

James Collins

Mar 25, 2017
    I've ordered lots of spare parts from the US distributor. What is the issue?

vernay3 and DJ Bebop like this.
  7. mmbongo

mmbongo I have too many basses. Supporting Member

It took me about 3 months to get a set of replacement tuners a few years back. The Warwick USA Shop in New York closed and nobody knew where to get anything. They were with Dana B. Goods for a long time, not sure what happened there. The US Music, which looks like are no longer working with Warwick. Not sure who they have now.

8. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    It is. As stated, "licensing and distribution". Important key word there, "licensing". That is short for license to manufacture.

60bass, DJ Bebop and MattB88 like this.
  9. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Oh great...this just triggered a price increase in used Metros :roflmao:

Woodchuck, Brian D, HeavyJazz and 9 others like this.
  10. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Yet another prime scenario for TalkBass to have a "not like" button. :cool:

Beej, 60bass, Holdsg and 6 others like this.
  11. Burwabit

Burwabit Likes guitars that tune good and firm feelin women Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2011
    Lubbock, TX
    Curious to see details and implications. More Sadowsky is always better, though.

Bassdirty, DJ Bebop and deepestend like this.
  12. joel the bass player

joel the bass player Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2000
    Omaha, NE
    Words out till they show up. Did something happen with the Tokyo shop?

DJ Bebop, booch29 and SwitchGear like this.
  13. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    I almost pulled the trigger on a Metro Express on Sadowsky's site last week. Now I'm sorry I didn't. It sold. I've never liked Warwicks. This just means my next Sadowsky is going to cost more.

DJ Bebop, jebmd and SwitchGear like this.
  14. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Ugh - this is terrible. Warwick of all companies? When I bought my first Sadowsky it was partly to get away from companies like Warwick. The customer service I experienced from Warwick was the polar opposite of what I expect from a company like Sadowsky. I will never again buy anything manufactured by Warwick - Sadowskys included. I have very little respect for Warwick/Hans-Peter and my level of respect for Sadowsky just dropped a notch.

pcake, Clementli, paco facile and 8 others like this.
  15. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Website and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Nothing happened there. We're just moving the Metro and MetroExpress lines there for better worldwide distribution. It's no secret that we've been having issues getting the MetroExpress basses into the hands of players. This should hopefully eliminate the back orders and delays on that line.

16. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    We will still be making the same custom built Sadowskys in the NYC-Custom shop with our regular crew.

Root 5, /\/\3phist0, kobass and 7 others like this.
  17. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    Interesting. I wonder what this means for Sadowsky Japan.

Warwick makes a Fender clone that says "Sadowsky" on the headstock. What kind of bass is this?

18. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    We will still have our shop in NYC for all things Sadowsky-related. Warwick currently has a shop/office in Nashville as well.

19. bass12

bass12 Have You Met Grace Jones?

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Will the satin series be taken over by Warwick as well?

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Good luck!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 21, 2022