1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sadowsky MetroExpress 21 (2020)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by antfarm, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Owner: Sadowsky Guitars Ltd.
    I'm in full agreement with the issues on the MetroExpress as described by LowEndLobster. Unacceptable without a doubt. The inability to travel to China this year had been a real problem for me. But I am on it. I am committed to solving the QC issues.

I built basses for over 20 years before I came up with the VTC and never had a complaint about it lacking one. The best I can recollect, we introduced the VTC in 2007.

Warwick is offering a VTC upgrade kit.

Roger

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  2. ShawnG

ShawnG Supporting Member

May 2, 2020
    Ft Worth, TX
    I am sure this is very frustrating. Thanks for your frank acknowledgement of the issues. Best of luck in getting things sorted, as I expect you will.

BassToGoGo, Biga173rd and Sadowsky like this.
  3. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Thank you, Shawn. Things will get sorted out for sure.

4. LowEndLobster

LowEndLobster Bass reviewer and youtube dude guy. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 29, 2003
    Northern MA
    Thanks Roger! I really appreciate your response and definitely understand the spot you're in with COVID and the travel restrictions. I have a replacement (JJ this time) coming from Jason @ Fret Nation early next week and will do another unboxing. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to help from an independent testing perspective :).

BassToGoGo, jmain, Bassmunnky and 2 others like this.
  5. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Thank you!

Biga173rd and Bassmunnky like this.
  6. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Supporting Member

I owned a Japan Metro back in the day and the thing I found the most impressive about it was the immaculate wiring job .
    I understand that expectations must be limited on a low end instrument but that is disappointing to see.
    I think the disappointment is amplified by the fact that the Sadowsky brand is known for attention to detail above all else, and I think that has always been the greatest selling point of his instruments.
    From what I’ve seen so far, this metro express would not even make the list of “fender style” instruments that I world personally consider paying $900 for. (No matter who’s name is on the headstock)
    That being said, I do believe that Mr. Sadowsky is a man of integrity and is resolute in his commitment to quality.
    I have faith that he will successfully address the issues with this product.

7. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    Just to clarify ..... the VTC kits should be available in the US in January, according to my latest information.

Robert Darby, Biga173rd and jmain like this.
  8. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    What can I tell you is warsadow has no stellar thing which happened on discontinued China Squier CV line.
    Yes, it has affordable price under Sadowsky name, but, for me, she still overprice.

9. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    I can't imagine this will be a bass under name Sadowsky. The first touch already tell me the QC on the bass, even lower than the current indo CV bass from Cort (to me).

The Cort gb74JJ in amber just like Poorman MV4 to me. This bass sound a bit brighter than normal jazz tone, but everything on this bass are great than her price tag.

Hope can see you make a review on gb77JJ soon.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
    LowEndLobster likes this.
  10. Yahboy

Yahboy

May 21, 2008
    What do you think if you choose the factory who make previous Squier classic vibe ?
    I know that is not my business, but better QC won't ruin the Sadowsky brand name.

11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I figured that not being able to visit the factory and make clear what you expected was at the root of the problems. None of the improvements needed to make this bass really viable in the $800-$1,200 market are difficult or expensive. I am happy to see you making a Sadowsky for broke b@st@rds like me!:):bassist::hyper:

jmain, Biga173rd and LowEndLobster like this.
  12. jim nolte

jim nolte

Oct 26, 2006
    california
    One of the things I’ve heard more than once is when a Chinese factory is commissioned to produce something you have to stay on it since they are mostly government owned they are notorious for ether trying to save money or time by taking shortcuts after agreements have been made by the business commissioning them, Roger or a trusted rep should be on location off and on there and maybe be doing some random sampling of the product line.

ElMon and Dr. Cheese like this.
  13. Sadowsky

Sadowsky Commercial User

Nov 1, 2000
    New York City
    That is the way it has always been prior to COVID. Warwick would send one of their builders to the factory for two weeks every production cycle to supervise.

14. 5StringPocket

5StringPocket Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Texas
    Sheldon Dingwall has also had to make many trips and provide extensive guidance and expectations on quality control for his line of basses made in China. Not an easy partnership to manage.

15. Mark Ambler

Mark Ambler

Nov 18, 2017
    London, UK.
    I definitely have no complaints about my 2 (Japanese) Sadowskys and the one I bought my son to stop him nicking mine! I've mostly used passive fenders and are used to rolling off a little treble, but yes, easy workarounds with amp eq, etc. Hope the current woes with the Metro expresses gets resolved asap.

LowEndLobster likes this.
  16. CH Design

CH Design

Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
    I watched your video and am a little confused by your post. Based on your video review, I thought your only major complaint was about the preamp noise. I believe you had positive comments for both the fit/finish and feel of the neck. I can’t remember if you said anything about the fretwork, but I didn’t hear anything odd (fret noise) in your playing.

17. P Cheen

P Cheen formerly Jaxon5 Supporting Member

Apr 4, 2015
    Sacramento, CA
    Lobster said that he likes the finish of the body. He wasn’t impressed with the neck and fretwork and said they were okay. And I do believe the word ‘meh’ was uttered towards the end of the video. All in all he was not impressed, but he is hopeful with the 2nd round of RSD MetroExpress JJ coming his way.

LowEndLobster and jmain like this.
  18. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    @LowEndLobster, thanks for the unboxing/review. Very helpful.

I've purchased other Chinese 'import models' of well known makers with excellent fit, finish, feel, and electronics. They were able to set the expectations with long initial visits during setup of the factory and frequent QC trips. COVID is affecting the ability to provide that oversight and would be imagined. Also, I'm sure COVID is affecting the workers that are making these instruments as well. We can't forget that either.

Dr. Cheese and LowEndLobster like this.
  19. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Looking forward to the next unboxing! Hoping this one hits the spot.

Dr. Cheese likes this.
  20. basmansam

basmansam Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Vermont
    I bought a 5FL. I was able to get it dialed in - I think it's awesome. The only thing I did was get rid of the Chinese strings. That really opened up the sound of the bass. I will replace the string tree with hipshot and eventually the preamp. I'm very happy, unlined and ebony!!
    upload_2020-11-25_9-0-12.png

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
    Robert Darby, JLY and CH Design like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021