1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Samick Baby Bass strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by mickeyj4j, Nov 21, 2016.

1. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    Hi all I have been given back my Baby Bass.
    Bass: Samick Baby Bass
    Model: 8110352
    Pickup: P style
    Length: 660mm (from nut to back of bridge plate)
    440mm (From nut to 21st fret)
    I am having trouble finding strings. Samick don't make strings for these. Any ideas what to use. Short scale strings are to fat to fit in the tuners.

Any help would be appricated. Thanks.

This is a great sounding bass it was my first bass. I was taken with the size and how cute it was when I upgraded I gave this to a young person who was wanting to learn. Given back after 5 years or so. I have given it a clean up and it is playing and sounding great. Despite needing new strings.
    It is so easy to play after my 5 string.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  2. I wish I could help but I don't do metric system. If you could measure the scale length in inches from the nut to the saddles that may help. I know Ibanez make a shortie that is right around 27". Not sure what strings they use on that. May contact Jason at basstringsonline.com. He would be able to help you.

3. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    660mm is roughly 26 inches.

4. Yeah that's an odd length. Check around some ibanez threads on the mini bass they sell. Another option to consider is some of the guys that play Kala type ubasses may have some leads on strings that will fit it. Kala does have metallic options now, and one guy who has a ton of custom mini basses is Kohanmike. Send him a PM and see if he can help you out. He is a great guy to deal with. And give Jason a call like I posted above. If you have never bought strings from him you should consider it. He is a great guy with lots of knowledge and he gives a discount on strings to TB members.

5. mrufino1

mrufino1 Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    The kala strings won't work on that samick because they are nylon core, you need a piezo pickup to use them. I use a marleaux consat sopran 23" scale tuned standard, and am still experimenting, but I have some strings that I cut down to size and they work pretty well. That's probably going to be your best bet.

6. I wonder what they use on the ibanez microbass? Maybe the bridge is set up to use short 30" scale strings? I thought somebody came out with a metal core for the kalas at one point but I am probably dreaming!

7. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    Strings for ~25" scale length Samick Corsair Mini
    1-Bajo sexto low octave strings (will have low tension; look for nickel-plated steel or stainless, since bronzes have low output with mag pickups);
    2-Kalium guitar strings, they make them as big as .182";
    3-
    4-
    5-

1stnamebassist likes this.
  8. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    Thank you!!! I think there's some good options for my 23" scale bass there. I did just order Dunlop flats that I'm going to cut down but for times I need rounds I think I am going to try those options. I didn't know the mini basses were back in stock either, I have been thinking of selling my u-bass recently, I'm liking magnetic pickups more than the Piezo these days.

HaphAsSard likes this.
  9. HaphAsSard

HaphAsSard

Dec 1, 2013
    Italia
    My pleasure! :)

10. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    standard string sets and even short scale ones wont work due to the tuners being extra small. samick still has not replied to my emails to them in teh past 2 weeks. shesh

11. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    I do remember getting a custom set once. thickest string was .80 i think and stepped it down it was ok they may be the ones still on it i don't really know though?

12. mrufino1

Aug 2, 2005
    Nutley, NJ
    On my marleaux I had to replace the guitar tuners with sperzel locking bass tuners, that way I could cut down the string and clamp it in the tuning post.

I wound up getting 5 string Dunlop flatwounds and installed them yesterday, using the BEAD strings tuned EADG. They're heavy and took a little while to adjust to during last night's gig, but the sound is really solid. My hope is that those strings will never have to be changed. I'll get a spare set just in case at some point soon and have them already cut down.

Its a little tedious to have to take 2 hours to put on new strings, but once they're cut shorter then it's the same as any other string change. And FINALLY, now that I was able to move the bridge back, the bass is intonated perfectly.

13. mickeyj4j

mickeyj4j

Dec 5, 2006
    As kala ubass does not have a truss rod it could not handle the tension of metal core strings.