Sanding down the neck finish on a Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by BHaev, Mar 17, 2018.

1. BHaev

BHaev

Aug 1, 2017
    I have a late '90's Fender Jazz bass I really like but hate the old school gloss finish on the back of the neck. I love the satin/natural finish on the backs of the necks of my Music Man Stingrays. I am playing the Jazz more now and really want to smooth out the back of the neck. Any recommendations? I don't feel I have to go down to the bare wood, just satin it up, if that's a possibility?

2. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    I use those scotch pads. Got them from stewmac

3. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism

Most Stingray necks are oiled and waxed, not a satin poly. If you just want to satin the poly, just get a grey 3M pad from a paint supply shop and run it along the back of the neck. This will eventually gloss back up as you play the neck. Be sure to tape off the headstock and the body (if you do not remove the neck.)

If you want to go down to neck for a Stingray type feel, I explain my process in the thread below. I much prefer an oil and waxed neck so I do this to all of my basses.

Removing A Neck Finish

BHaev likes this.
  4. WannaJazz

WannaJazz Supporting Member

May 7, 2010
    I just happened to have done this on two basses this week, with a gloss finish on the neck.

I used 400 grit wet or dry sandpaper, as suggested by a friend.

It takes a few minutes of light sanding, turning the neck under a light.

It just broke the gloss, leaving the finish on the neck.

I am impressed with the result!! It's almost too slippery!

No more stickiness, no more tears!

Gt6s likes this.
  5. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    Once I figured I would not part with my Jazz bass i got very fine sandpaper and got rid of the gloss on the back of the neck. It feels fantastic. I don't wanna stop playing it. Also, it really doesn't look bad at all. Can't really tell.

6. BHaev

BHaev

Aug 1, 2017
    If I just take the gloss off, leaving the finish, is there anything I need to apply to the neck? I assume no, since the finish is still there? Just wipe it with a clean rag?

7. Bijoux

Bijoux

Aug 13, 2001
    Denver-CO-USA
    I didn't apply anything on mine, but I didn't take the finish all the way off either. Just enough so it doesn't feel sticky.

8. BHaev

BHaev

Aug 1, 2017
    Read through this thread - very helpful!

DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  9. The above advice is all good. Unless you're dead set on an oil and wax neck finish, I'd try deglossing the existing finish first then, if you turn out not liking that you can always strip and oil the neck later.

10. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    You can wax the neck without stripping off the gloss. You may have to do it a little moire often but it's only a five minute job.

11. jebmd

jebmd Gold Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    Lothian, Maryland
    + 1 with Scotchbrite. The green works great and will take you five minutes. If you’re heavy handed and worry about going through the finish, use the grey.

12. On the few that I've redone, I've sanded the neck down to bare wood and used tung oil.

BeyondFiredUp likes this.
  13. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Nope, not really. Keep in mind that you're just knocking-down the gloss and not removing that much material...if done properly. Now, here's the gag: the gloss will re-appear with time & use.

Riis

14. hotbass57

hotbass57

Nov 27, 2011
    Fairfield,Ohio
    I sanded my finish off and then did 3 coats of boiled linseed oil. applied a coat and wet sanded then rinse and repeat.It's a nicer feel then just satin finish.

15. BHaev

BHaev

Aug 1, 2017
    I went with Scotchbrite pads and really happy with the results. Here is a video I did on it:

BeyondFiredUp likes this.
  16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    I use the old green pot scrubber scotchbrite pads we save from the kitchen sink when they get replaced with a new one.
    A few passes on the back of the neck usually does it for me. I have to redo it every few months but it takes less than a couple minutes so it’s not an involved process.

17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021