1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp Tech 21 Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jlt5x, Feb 24, 2008.

1. richmoore1998

richmoore1998

Sep 11, 2006
    Niagara, Canada
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amps, D'Addario Strings, Planet Waves
    I just bought the Deluxe... I've been using a Radial Bassbone for about a year and a half now... I absolutely love the Bassbone, but was looking for something to use as part of my fly rig. We fly a ton all over and backline can be very sketchy at times. I haven't had a chance to really try it out for a consistent sound in many different situations but so far I'm very impressed with it.

I have found I'm liking a good blend of sans amp and the true bass signal over the full sansamp sound. That's just me... I love the svt and bassman settings and am programming three channels for each bass (I tour with an electric upright and an electric bass) - so in a sense it's a little more convoluted compared to matching bass levels with the Bassbone, but it's hard to compare them as they are two different products.

I love that I can use a battery as well as phantom - in Europe a 9v is easier to deal with than having to worry about the 15v power needed for the Bassbone... some of the power converters we've used have been a bit bogus...

Anyhow, that's my 2 cents... I'm looking forward to playing out with this thing some more...

2. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    can anybody tell me if the BDDI's EQ section can be bypassed so that the unit operates as a DI box only?

thanks

3. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    Yes.

4. Colonel_Claypoo

Colonel_Claypoo Steve Harris nut

Oct 24, 2007
    Germany
    just read the manual, thanks.

5. CayceG

CayceG

Feb 14, 2009
    Cookeville, TN
    I'm having a bit of a problem with my SA Bass Driver...

I can't turn the drive knob up past 12 o'clock and get decent sound. If it's set lower than that, it's fine, but around 11:30 is where I start getting the distortion I want... But if I go any farther the distortion sound fades in and out when I play and alternates between quiet/unnoticeable and loud and buzzy.

It's pretty annoying and it's only started doing it. I'd like to figure out what's wrong with it.

6. jmac85

jmac85

Mar 22, 2008
    Duluth, MN
    I've got the Driver Deluxe. I found a considerable volume drop using the FX loop. But now I use my pedal a little different. It is the first pedal in my chain as I use it as an AB switch too between my 4 and 5 string. GREAT pedal though. Best purchase I've made as far as pedals go!

7. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    A lot of people are saying the VT Bass sounds much better than the BDDI. the main complaint about the BDDI is that it scoops the mids. Has anyone tried simply lowering the bass and treble on the BDDI in order to flatten it out? Starting with them at zero or something like that.

I'm wondering if the VT is fundamentally different from the BDDI, or if the difference is only in the EQ curve.

Does anyone own both and prefer the BDDI?

8. akaTRENT

akaTRENT

Jan 10, 2009
    New Jersey
    I am selling one a bass driver deluxe anyone is interester. mint condition.

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    i own and use both for different sounds. i prefer the BDDI to teh VT Bass BY FAR when it comes to searching for a pleasing sparkly power-tube type grind that crunches and sparkles the top end, and leaves the bottom end huge, while sounding warm and fat, but yes there is some tucking of the mids that i dont want all the time...

...which is why i love the VT Bass as my clean and slightly grindy sound, where i want to sound like im going through a modern SVT where it just starts to break up on my louder plucks, but still retaining SOME of the natural tone of my bass in the mids, but still having that fat warth

but when i want an agressive sound. i love the BDDI.

but if it came down to it. i can be pretty happy just using one of these pedals for any set. the BDDI is easier to use, partially because there are fewer sounds in it, so you're not trying to tweak a knob between 8:55 oclock and 9:05 oclock on the fly, like i find myself doing with the VT bass, which is more like tweaking between 8 oclock and 9 oclock when i am on the BDDI.

10. riker1384

riker1384

Jan 2, 2007
    Have you tried turning down the bass and treble in order to boost the mids?

Incidentally, there are some interesting videos on Youtube of the Tech 21 factory:

It's a surprisingly small place. I'm not sure if they make the circuit boards there, but the final assembly and quality control is all done by hand in that location in New Jersey. Seeing that, it's not surprising that Behringer can copy them much more cheaply using mass-production methods in China.

11. meekee73_2008

meekee73_2008

Feb 20, 2009
    me.

pm'ed