1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sansamp Tech 21 Bass Driver DI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jlt5x, Feb 24, 2008.

1. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Ok, so I think I am going to get this. Lots of great reviews everywhere. Gives me a few different sounds, including a little bit of distortion, plus seems to give you a nice overall boost and presence.

I can get the regular Bass Driver DI for 199 or for 209, I can get the progammable one with 3 saved programs.

Question: Is this the only difference between the two? It seems that for only 10 more bucks, you would be crazy not to get the programmable one.

Anyone have/played on these and can confirm this? Also while you are at it, tell me your thoughts on them

Thanks!

JT
    MIM Fender P
    Ampeg B2RE
    Ampeg SVT410

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Dude, the SABDDI and the programmable version are like the two most talked-about pedals in this forum. ;)

3. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    Yes, but I haven't found anything that will confirm the ONLY difference is the the programmable feature.

It seems too simple!

4. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    The programmable one does not have a parallel out. :)

5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    If it were me, (and it was) I'd get the ParaDriver DI instead. Pretty much the same thing, only with a semi-parametric mid. It still has the Drive control, so you can get that tubish kind of sound.

6. Nikoubis

Nikoubis

May 3, 2007
    Athens, Greece
    Thaat's what I did, btw. And I'm, like, very happy. :D

7. The non programmable one should be $189.

I'd go with the programmable one, regardless.

8. well, the programmable one doesnt have parallel output and the knobs are pretty flimsy. i prefer the bass driver di without the programmable channels.

9. jlt5x

jlt5x Supporting Member

May 8, 2007
    chicagoland
    That's what I am looking for.

Thanks!

10. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I opted for the non-programmable version due to size. The whole point of the SABDDI for me is to have a small DI sized preamp as a backup to my regular amp and use on ampless gigs. The programmable version would be nice, but it is way too large and would take up too much space in the ol' gig bag.

I do kinda wish I had got the para-mid driver.

11. +1 love the small size of the SABDDI. Carry a spare battery. Also it works very good for recording.

12. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    anotehr thing to consider is that teh probrammable one does not show the settings for each of the 3 saved banks by looking at the knobs. you ahve to touch each knob individually to figure out what teh actual settings of that patch is. the original BDDI is what-you-see-is-what-you-get in terms of looking at where the knobs are, so i think its easier to learn with, in terms of figuring out howe the knobs work with each other.

that said, i love my programmable... its harder to learn with but i use all 3 programs all the time

13. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I scored the non-programmable one for $99 shipped :D

14. Where?

15. rawdogg

rawdogg

Feb 12, 2008
    I have the non-programmable one and I love it. Great for recording. Sounds like you're playing trough a tube amp. Great as a bass distortion too. Gives the bass a lot of GROWL!!! Never tried the programmable one before.

16. speedkills

speedkills

Jan 10, 2008
    California
    Subscribed for the "Where?"

17. tbone409

tbone409

Feb 17, 2007
    kenosha, wi
    i have the old acoustic which is the para w/o the drive control, and i wouldn't buy any sansamp that didn't have the mid sweep, its the feature i use the most i got it for $95 in the classifieds

18. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Used off a TBer.

19. Sipuri

Sipuri

May 26, 2007
    I was owner of a BDDI and would like to have the RBI (if it were programmable...)...

So, I would go for the new BDDI deluxe version:

For bassists who like to switch it up on stage, the SansAmp Bass Driver Deluxe is the ultimate live tool for the bass-hopping, preset-stomping player. The Deluxe is all about fast delivery of monster Tech 21 bass tones in the fray of a live performance. Dual inputs enable two instruments to be on-line and ready to go with a pop-free selector. You can program three custom tones for each input, or use all six for a single instrument. You can also program the FX loop to engage your favorite effect with a particular setting and the Deluxe will bring it every time that preset is selected.

The fat, funky tones of the SansAmp Bass Driver series are legendary. With an all-analog signal path, two inputs, six presets, a programmable effect loop, and parallel/tuner out, the stage-optimized Deluxe is all that with cheese and pickles.

http://www.tech21nyc.com/bassdriver_deluxe.html

or try the new VT bass

http://www.tech21nyc.com/character_series.html

of which I have heard a lot of good things.

Steve
    Bavaria/Germany

20. jonnychicago

jonnychicago

Mar 20, 2006
    Chicago
    Man, i just got one of these (bass drive di) in the mail on Friday, and I absolutely love it. I'm playing through an ampeg ba115 combo with the settings flat, and I've stuck to the "SVT" settings in the manual. It absolutely thunders.