1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sax player amplification in band rehearsal

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by dbass87, May 17, 2011.

1. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    For those of you who play in bands with sax players, what do they usually use for amplification during rehearsals? We can't hear him over the drums and everything. Obviously using a mic... We don't want to use a PA because of having to haul it around. We're thinking of getting a simple, inexpensive setup for him. I was thinking we could run a mic into a 1/4 in. converter jack, into an amp, but which amp to use? Could a guitar amp do the trick or would that sound weird? Thanks.

2. Rockman

Rockman

Mar 2, 2006
    If you just had one speaker, amp, and mic pre you could give him a setup. But in my band he just plays reeaaal loud.

3. stiles72

stiles72

Mar 20, 2009
    Albany IL
    Anytime I've played with one, they just use a mic through the same PA that everyone else is going through.

4. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    haha, he was trying, but we're in a really confined space, lots of hard surfaces, and with a biiigg drum set, and guitar and bass amps blaring, it's just too noisy most of the time. So he could run like a 58 through a pre into the amp and out one speaker? Probably not a bad idea. Would we need a mixer tho so he can tweak his volume if need be?

5. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    we're not all playing through a PA though, just amps. The issue was partly that we don't want the hassle of hauling a whole PA around

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    At our sessions NOBODY plays through an amp, most gigs (unless it's outdoors or a keyboard gig) nobody uses amps.

7. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Get one of those powered PA speakers with an onboard mixer.

8. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I have a two channel amp, and have used the second channel for practically every possible thing that can be amplified: Vocals, keyboard, guitar, etc.

But still, if your rehearsals are that loud, it's worth re-thinking how you manage your rehearsals. You may need to get the guitarist some sheet music.

9. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
  10. I've been studying the double bass for the last five months, but I'm really a saxophonist.

Two things:
    1.) the saxophone is capable of being plenty loud enough to be heard, and you don't need a peashooter mouthpiece or to blow your brains out. A little air support goes a long way. I have played in several rock bands and never used a mic in rehearsals.

2.) turn down those amps! Why are they "blaring"!?!? If the answer is, "to be heard over the drummer," tell the drummer to quiet the **** down.

Seriously, playing at those volumes in "a really confined space, lots of hard surfaces" is terrible for your hearing, and not terribly productive musically.

11. +1 turn it ALL down for practice. The "my tone" argument is moot when you lose your hearing.

12. :meh:lol what is your singer going through during rehearsal?

:bassist:

13. massimo

massimo

Jul 29, 2006
    Paris (France)
    just curious: are you playing jazz or other type of acoustic music ? (in this case a normal saxophone player should have no problems to play without a mic, or you are all too loud:turn off the amps! or at least turn them down...a lot..! ) if you play rock or something like that: again turn down the amps..and the drummer! When i play with a sax normally he is the louder of the band also without a mic...

14. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    This thread went a slightly different direction than I had intended haha, but points taken... I guess the main thing is that the drummer plays pretty loud and has a very large set, as opposed to the typical stripped down jazz drummer setup, and he's a hard hitter too. A lot of what we're doing is more of a fusion style I guess, we're playing some standards and then some funkier stuff, but sometimes it is getting pretty aggressive and taking on a bit of a funk rock edge. Thus why the volume is a factor I guess. It's not exactly a typical lounge type of jazz group, more edgy. I suggested the drummer using hotrods as well... Right now I guess we're trying to compensate by upping our volumes, and thus the sax player gets pretty buried-- you can hear him some of the time when the dynamic is brought down. So to fit our style, yes he needs amplification.

15. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Tell the drummer to buy the PA and haul it around, or play softer. :eek:

16. Tell the drummer if he can't control it he will have to buy the saxplayer a gig rig. A good musician can play soft too, regardless of how awesome his setup is - can he tune his drums? He shouldn't have to beat the hell out of them at all times.

I gig as a sax player and can play ear splitting loud on the same setup I use for pit work - which means good sound but softer than a singer on stage with no mic. I've also worked as a drummer - professionally. If the drummer has no control buy him some lessons. A sax player shouldn't need an amplifier for a rehearsal, you guys are too damn loud.

17. This.

It doesn't matter if you're playing fusion or even rock: there is absolutely no reason for the drummer to play that loudly in rehearsal.

18. dbass87

dbass87

May 16, 2010
    Points taken... I guess if the drummer uses some hotrods and we can talk about just bringing the overall level of the band down, that's the place to start.

19. Matt Ides

Matt Ides Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use to play in a funk/fusion group with bass/drums/sax/trumpet/keys. We never had to mic the horns. As everyone else has stated this is dynamic issue for the group to discuss for sure. Ed pointed out, rehearsal should be low key low volume.

I currently play with drums, keys, and sax. Nobody is amped or mic.

20. turn down. The sax is a loud instrument. You said you were in a confined space . All the more reason to play at acoustic volume.