1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Say What?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick B., Apr 8, 2010.

1. Nick B.

Nick B.

Aug 11, 2009
    Canada
  2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    fascinating...an elegant solution to a problem that doesn't really exist.

3. Ibanez has been stuck on that goofy-ass idea for 30 years.

4. superflybass

superflybass

Feb 16, 2004
    La Crosse WI
    I played that at namm I liked it if you do looping thing you could have a whole bunch of fun.

5. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    that JP pickup is kinda trippy!

6. wouldn't the tone of the fretless section be Dramatically different due to there being no neck pickup for that section, peculiar

7. I think that's the idea...

I actually like it and would use it occasionally, but I guess the price/usefulness ratio will be fairly prohibitive for me.

8. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    I'm not impressed.

G

9. basste

basste

Oct 8, 2003
    France
    strange.. i would be curious to try it.

10. Agreed but, besides a gimmick type bass; would it suit any real purpose?

11. :meh: not sure about that one..

12. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Reminds me of my wife's insistence on having all wheel drive cars because of snow. So we drive in 4 wheel on dry pavement for the other 352 days of the year.

Who the heck wants to reach over two useless strings until you want fretless?

13. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    I think it's cool - it looks like it would be fun to try anyway.

14. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    The two fretless strings are the two highest - why would you have to reach over them? (Unless you're lefty and playing the bass upside down). Playing the fretted portion of the bass would be like playing a regular 4 string.

15. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    would have been better if it was a standard bass with a gimicky fretboard which could raise/lower the frets with the flick of a lever.:spit:

16. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    I think this is an interesting bass. Not something I would personally own (not a fan of 6 string basses or ibanez), nor something that will appeal to the masses, but it's still a neat concept and would be fun to mess around on every once in a while. Then again, I enjoy seeing companies try different things and thinking outside the box a bit.

17. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    That's actually a great idea. Unfortunately I think the mechanical components needed to make that happen would make the neck too heavy...unless it was made entirely out of titanium or carbon fiber. If I was an inventor I'd make one just for the fun of it.

18. Sorted

19. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH

20. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Whattdya know - that's really cool. I didn't know that gumtownbassman was talking about an existing product. I'd like to play one just out of curiosity.