1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

SBMM SUBs..yes, it's about to become even more confusing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SubSectorSucker, Jan 23, 2012.

1. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    Getting in on that Squier money! :D

[​IMG]

3. I want them to make a copy of the Silhouette Bass like the OLP MM5 baritone.

[​IMG]

4. evilt70

evilt70

Feb 6, 2011
    Pekin, Il
    I've got 2 of the original 4 string made in America SUBS, might have to add one these 5'ers to the collection.

5. peledog

peledog Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego, CA
    Interesting...

6. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I admire what they did. My soon to be 9 year old has expressed an interest in learning how to play guitar and bass and this now allows me the opportunity to start him off right in the Music Man family but still able to buy something in a beginners price range. I would also be willing to bet that these guitars and basses compared to others ones at a similar cost, will be better made. I saw some intro stuff not too long ago from a few other companies that are very well known and the quality was simply crap. Of course, that was somewhat to be expected for beginners gear but I would be willing to bet this stuff will be decent quality.

7. I thin this will kill there other ray34s selling abilities though , if these are pretty close in quality i would just want to play these then jump to a real stingray.

8. Yeah, but they still have not said what has made it possible to make them cheaper. I can already see, the, bridge being changed from the regular sbmm line. The old bridge were identical to mia eb's exept for the, musicman stamp on it, these bridges, look like the ones on olp's or the ebay after,market bridge s I've purchased

Either way,i think this will be a definate buy for me,i really like the mocha and 5 string ray.

9. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Always overcompensating Supporting Member

Jul 5, 2010
    SoCal
    That Ray 5 will be mine.

10. Basso54

Basso54

Jul 22, 2003
    Dalhart, TX
    I agree with Epitaph04. That black Ray with maple board is going in my stable, post haste.

11. Made in Indonesia? Would explain the price-drop compared with the old Sub line. Also any other cost savings tricks could apply: less color/neck options, third-party parts mass produced, less finish-work from factory and so on...

12. tomersg

tomersg

Aug 6, 2007
    Israel
    i hope the quality will be great like the squier VM basses.

13. Going to get a backup Ray 4 or 5 me thinks...instead of a Classic Vibe P.

14. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Eh... what? If I'm not mistaken, SUBs aren't new and have been around a long time...

15. Not these, by SBMM.
    They seem miles away from the original SUBs, by EBMM in 2003-2006.

16. I wonder if these are actually made in Indonesia. Seems awful low priced for that factory. I would much rather buy a used MM or MM Sub. You can get the US Subs used for $400 or sometimes less all day and night.

17. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    My guess is that these might be made by the very same people.

18. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    If the 2 band EQ is anything at all like the 2 band on the other EBMM basses, I'm very tempted.

19. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005

Agreed with most of this - but it seems that the supply of SUBs in decent shape for $400 or less has dried up...

- georgestrings