1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
  2. Welcome Back!  Please see this thread for more info about the site outage.  Thank you for your patience as we work out bugs and tweak server configs.

School bans tag

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Oct 18, 2006.

1. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
  2. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    Its just one step closer from schools doing away with recess all together- they should be inside learning not being kids :scowl:

3. Shaking my head. :rollno:

4. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    Eastern North Dakota
    Hey folks, you only have yourselves to blame. The society we live in today will take legal action at the drop of a hat. If you let kids be kids, someone will get hurt. It was probably an accident, but you know that if - for example teeth were knocked out - that the parents of that kid will not go after the family of the other kid, they will go after the school. You go after the deepest pockets you can.

Until there's a huge swing in society, this will only get worse.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I haven't had recess since 7th grade, 8th grade year was the last year they allowed it in middle school. And they're cutting back on it in elementary schools too. We have the maximum legal school day with minimal recess and gym classes. No wonder our kids are getting fat.

6. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    It's a pretty sad state of affairs. Kids need to be kids. I remember our PE classes were a joke; we didn't do anything that actually required physical effort, and played toned down games like dodgeball with knit cottonballs.

Schools are rediculous nowadays. Kids can't play tag, and victims of bullies are suspended for "being involved in a fight" when they get beat up and mugged in the halls thanks to zero tolerance policies. It's sad.

7. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This sucks... I still play tag with my Rottie!!! He loves it and it gives me a workout inside the house! :D

8. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Yep, not long until they ban fun altogether. These "if theres a blame theres a claim" people make me sick. Look at daytime TV, it's innundated with adverts for "personal damage claim" companies. :scowl:

9. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    :scowl:

10. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That's the whole idea of tag. :rolleyes:
    This is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard of.

11. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Celeste, your son is a pansy.

This is almost as dumb as banning red ink for correcting students' papers because it will "damage their self-esteem." People are getting the world they deserve. You want self esteem? Win at tag. Get a 100% on a paper. Accomplish something. Self esteem without true accomplishment is nothing more than a cruel falsehood sold to these kids who will find out how life is WAY too late.

This ban of tag is just another instance of the ongoing feminization of the modern 'male.' If these people have their way, there won't be a man alive who will be able to change a tire, build a deck or take a punch.

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Inactive

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Lets just ban everything.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Inactive

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    One day, the internet will look like this :(

However, being bassists, we'll be the last bastion of free speech and funk!

14. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Can we put a ban on banning?

15. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    First, there was the Overprotective Parent Movement. Then, there was the Political Correctness Movement.

Now, we're in phase two of the O.P.M.

Pretty soon, comedians will be thrown into prison for doing their jobs, someone with the last name "McCarthy" will lead a new political witchhunt, and our children will go to school in foam bodysuits and giant bubbles. And all the while, increased tension between individuals will likely make crime rates skyrocket.

Fear leads countries to ruin. It lets those with more power manipulate those without, by promising them safety in exchange for freedom. It's not a cycle - it's a spiral.

I'm just waiting for the day that playgrounds are coated in foam, all sports balls are banned, and doors to the outside world are locked until school ends for the day... at 6:00PM.

Since when did we become so damn paranoid?

[/RANT]

16. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm curious to see when they try and legislate that two teams competing against one another can both win the game.

Society is taking a road to make that happen eventually.

Children are to be rewarded for doing nothing. Many adults make money because of doing something stupid(regarding lawsuits).

Everyone's gonna that kid from Secret Garden (heh)

17. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    maybe jack Thompson should sue whoever intented tag(or tig as we call it here)

18. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    [​IMG]

19. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    OH DEAR GOD!!!

The parents who got "tag" banned are wussies, raising wussies.

Kids are no longer allowed to be kids. These overprotective parents are making school a place where you stay inside all day and do nothing but study. They are taking away all the fun. School should have fun, too!

Zero-tolerance policies punish kids who are attacked by bullies by punishing everyone involved in the fight, not just the ones who started it and attacked.

Banning various games eliminates the fun, and takes away the opportunity for kids to learn to be tough, and to compete. Life is tough, and competitive. These kids won't be able to handle life.

PE classes are a joke. They don't do exercises. They don't play sports. They play silly little indoor games.

Its getting to be very ridiculous in this country, it really is.

Cherie :mad:

20. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton My P doesn’t have flats or tort Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    when i read the title, i thought they meant tag body spray, and i thought that was crazy. this is just the dumbest idea i have ever heard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 14, 2021