1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

School bans tag

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Oct 18, 2006.

1. Techmonkey

Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    same, we got pretty heated about that in my old school lol, those were the days.

lol :D

2. NamelessOne

NamelessOne

Mar 9, 2006
    Calgary, AB
    chasegame ungood. minilove find chasegame antecause thoughtcrime. minitrue makegood fullwise.

doubleplusbigcomerade unmake goodthink.

oceana warhate eastasia. Oceana always warhate eastasia. eastasia unbellyfeel doublethink.

3. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Huge swing? Oh god, someone could get hurt! Let's ban all swing sets!!!

Seriously though, this really ticks me off. It's partially in what Diggler said in that femenization is turning all males into panzies. I actually found a book at Barnes and Nobles that talked about how feminists are screwing up young boys.

But anyway, I think it's also on the people who think that everyone should have a fair chance and no one is allowed to lose. They also probably think that obesity is a discease. Seriously, if your kid is fat, then your kid is fat and that's it. When he becomes a teenager, then something can be done about it. Otherwise, let him live a happy, fat life, trying to play tag and running to be the front of the lunch line.

4. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Fat kids were great in dodgeball.

When you hit them with the ball, it just hung there for a second and dropped instead of bouncing off.

5. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    lulz @ people who think feminism means being a pansy.

It's mainly about being responsible for yourself and not treating anybody differently. I don't think a pansy would have done the things most feminists (the ones who aren't crazy poseurs) have done, i.e. get jobs in male dominated fields, like for example, all of them. The first female doctors were harrased in college, because the men thought it should have been a man in her place.

The words you're thinking of are "soccer mom." Unmentionable wretches.

6. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    You see, Mr. Loops, I only use "feminist" as a label to women who are...let's say cranky, towards all men. And go on about how men are always 'stopping them from meeting their full potential'.

Today I took the PSATs, and the last passage I had to read was about women in the working world. Reading that made me realize something today: I'm only a closet sexist, only leaving said closet whenever they start to complain about men oppressing them. Otherwise, I'm completely fine with women.

But sexist or not, I think we can ALL agree that the schools are being panzies, and the people who would potentially sue them are idiots.

7. well that makes me feel old.

when I was in 4th they banned slap bracelets :D

8. Awesome :D

So we keep taking games away and don't let kids be kids. Back in the day we used to play soccer with plastic bottles and tennis balls since our dodgeballs would be taken away.

No wonder kids are more hyperactive, they aren't allowed to do anything. No wonder kids are more and more overweight, they're forced to find less strenuous activities and games.

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    I can tell you, as a white slave owner, I am completely fine with black men. Except when they start complaining about white men oppressing them.

Obviously exaggerated analogy, but you cannot say that women have it equal today. It's getting closer, but it's not equal. And the people you are complaining about are poseurs. It's one thing to demand equality, but it's another to demand that men be punished and "knocked down" to be equal with women.

Of course.

10. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    :D

Post of the year. And just to be safe, the next few years as well.

Graeme

11. over educated idiot

12. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Oh, another sort of banning, this one at my high school:

At the end of the morning announcements at my school, the announcer kids are not allowed to say "have a good weekend", because apparently that implies drinking, having sex, and doing drugs.

Seriously.

Graeme

13. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's idiotic. Sometimes a kid will get hurt playing tag, but it's not likely to be serious. Hell, in elementary school I got bloody noses, bumps on my head, bent fingers, cuts, scrapes, etc., at recess and gym class playing tag, football, soccer, basketball, etc. If we'd had climbable trees on the school playground I probably would've been up in them, too, and sometimes falling out of them. Despite all this, I was having fun!

I also think about how few kids ever get to play outdoors by themselves or without "structured playtime." It's sad.

Regarding dodgeball: Life opened up a little more for me as a kid when I realized that dodgeball didn't actually require much special skill to become good at. ;)

I think conkers must've been banned here for a very long time, because I've never heard of it. ;)

14. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    That's incredible. Abso-__ing-lutely incredible!

15. StarMountainKid

StarMountainKid

Nov 6, 2005
    I'm surprised kids know how to play tag nowdays. When I was a kid, everybody played outside all the time. There was always a baseball game going on somewhere or a football game in the autumn. We just tramped around our little piece of the world and made fun for ourselves as it came.

Now, with vid games, computers, organized sports etc., as I drive around the neighborhoods here in my small town going to a store or visiting friends, I almost never see one kid outside. (Don't get the wrong idea lol. There's another thread, when the next door neighbor's kids wander over to watch me doing something in the yard, I'm polite but I don't get too friendly. Had a bad experience with one mean kid here one time, now I'm scared to be even normally nice to children.)

Anyway, welcome to our modern society. Get used to it.

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<The words you're thinking of are "soccer mom." Unmentionable wretches.
    >>>

Yyyyyyyep.

In my experience, out of the "helicopter" parents I've met, a good number of them were the stereotypical "soccer mom". But they're not all soccer moms, and not all soccer moms are overprotective.

These people are, to me...Busybodies. The sort that thinks everyone has to win, and no one must ever get hurt. The sort that wants to remove competition from the game. Yes, it should be fun. But what fun is it if there is no competition, no risk?

Kids need to be able to just play. Run and tumble and learn to deal with each other, and the world. These hovering parents who want *everything* to be controlled are doing a disservice to their kids. And to ours, by forcing their paranoia on everyone else.

Cherie

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I'm saving this post. Its perfect.

Cherie

18. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Oh, for heaven's sake! There are some paranoid folks in charge of your school. That's awful.

When I was a kid, unless it was pouring down rain, or slick with ice, we were sent out to play at recess and lunch. Now, at my little girl's school, if its a little muddy out, they can't play outside.

I find that ridiculous.

The schools are getting completely out of hand with all this "protection" and PC-ness.

Cherie

19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1. As a former teacher, I saw firsthand the extraordinary efforts the school went undertook to avoid possible lawsuits. It was a constant concern -- making sure you did nothing (or didn't NOT do something) that might result in a lawsuit. Liability insurance costs are skyhigh. As a result, there were all kinds of topics we couldn't address, and no one wanted to organize a field trip, which is a virtual minefield of potential litigation.

I think a good remedy for this would be to establish an independent grand jury of citizens to judge whether a lawsuit is frivolous or not, or if the damages sought were outrageous. If a lawsuit is deemed to be frivolous, then the plaintiffs should have to pay all legal costs, plus 10% of the damages they were asking, and the plaintiffs and lawyers should have to go to the public square and receive a public a$$-kicking.

That would stop most frivolous lawsuits before they even got filed. :D

20. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    I agree with most of that. *thumbs up*

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021