1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

School bans tag

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Oct 18, 2006.

1. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Like the previous comments... this is the post of the year :D

I think we need to start distributing books that were (or still are) banned to modern-day parents. They missed out on a LOT of great literature, and who knows... it might just broaden their horizons.

Or, they might like the way the government works in Orwell's novel, and we can all get a head start on our future by learning Newspeak...

2. they also banned pokemon cards at my school,

for anyone wondering how they managed to have both teams win, my gym teacher once said " no one wins or looses, one team just has more points than the other." word-for-word!!!

It is interesting that they go to such trouble in some ways to prevent law suits, but when I broke my finger in gym class and wen't to the nurse durring passing period (so as not to disrupt things by ducking out in the middle of class) she told me that i had to go to my next-period teacher and get permission to be there, dispite the fact that my finger was swelling up and turning black and I could no longer move it

3. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    That's why he was a gym teacher.

4. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio!

Jul 3, 2001
    Santa Ana, Calif.
    Former Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    +1

5. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    I wish they banned that junk!

6. Matt Fat Cat

Matt Fat Cat

Jul 5, 2006

What do you mean 1 step closer?... in Georgia recess is a relic of the past as is PE. A shame indeed.

7. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Dammit all. I made a cool rant, and then I hit print somehow by accident, and then an ad and now it's all gone.

Anyway, PE sucked in school. We had lousy equipment that was all broken up, and we never actually LEARNED anything about physical education. We ran, though. That goes for something, right? I mean, they didn't even bother showing us the proper way to run, but at least we were sweating, for like 10-20 minutes once a week, amirite?

8. Mole

Mole

Jul 7, 2005
    I think my school in China did it the best. The only game banned at recess was Red Rover in the second semester, because in the first semester someone broke their arm. The teachers even played with us before that! But of course, if that happened now, they would sue. :rolleyes:

Pokemon cards... my friend gave me a stack of like a hundred really rare ones or something to sell them at school (kids were willing to pay a lot of money for them!) and the day before I was going to bring them they were banned because kids were selling them. Now that I think back on it that was pretty dumb to sell Pokemon cards to someone who's paying you with their parents' money. Oh well.

Cherie, the little bit of mud = not doing anything outside at all is everywhere now. It's so stupid... in elementary I guess I could kind of understand since the students may want to play in the mud, but beyond that, I think kids know better. And I think that there should obviously still be P.E. past elementary, but not recess. I had already started hating recess in my last two years of elementary school, and I played games and everything, I didn't just stand around. I wouldn't want it in middle school or especially not in high school. That's what marching band's for. :p

9. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    P.E. needs to be abolished or reformed into something that doens't waste time. It's essentially recess with some running thrown in. Thanks, I have better things to do. And no, I don't hate sport, I'd just rather do my own than crappy P.E. calesthenics.

10. you yanks are turning your country into a bunch of poofs

./no pc.

11. cato

cato Low End Newb

Jun 26, 2006
    i'm from the US, and i agree with this statement. how is anyone from this new generation supposed to understand competition? without knowing what losing is these children won't have a desire to win.

stop the world i want to get off.

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    It just means that the "new generation" will never take over our positions on the corporate/political ladders when we become old farts.

13. I saw this on the front page of my local paper today and was appauled. Every child should have the right to skin their knee, twist their ankle, be "it", get hit in the face with a dodgeball, capture the flag, etc. Seriously. It's getting to the point where the joys and sorrows of life are being eliminated in the name of 'safety' and political correctness. What are we trying to defend, people's sensibilities? Ourselves from the lawsuits of outrageous and unrealistic parents who don't want to raise their own kids?

</vent>

14. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    "When you, here, everyone of you, were kids, you all admired the champion marble player, the fastest runner, the toughest boxer, the big league ball players, and the All-American football players. Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American."
    --George S. Patton
    So hateful, in fact, that now people think they can just make losing go away.

15. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Wow. That's deep.

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    <<<Cherie, the little bit of mud = not doing anything outside at all is everywhere now. It's so stupid... in elementary I guess I could kind of understand since the students may want to play in the mud, but beyond that, I think kids know better. And I think that there should obviously still be P.E. past elementary, but not recess. I had already started hating recess in my last two years of elementary school, and I played games and everything, I didn't just stand around. I wouldn't want it in middle school or especially not in high school. That's what marching band's for. :p
    >>>

Yeah...I've heard that from other parents on some other forums I visit. And most kids *do* know better than to go get totally muddy. One day of having to sit at school all muddy would cure any that didn't know better! ;)

No, I don't think there should be recess at the secondary school level, either. We didn't have that. You could sometimes catch a break between classes, but otherwise, you hung out at lunch, if you didn't need to go to the band hall and practice. ;)

We would drive to Pizza Hut, or a local taco place or whatever, eat, then drive around some more, and come back. Can't do *that* anymore, either.

Cherie

17. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    Well...the ones who *want* to are sure getting away with it.

Makes me MAD! :mad:

I feel so sorry for those kids whose parents want to wrap them in cotton-batting and make sure they never get so much as a skinned knee. Its sad. Their parents will hover over them all their lives, and then wonder why Billy won't move out of the house, or can't keep a job.

Look up "helicopter parents" on Wiki.

Cherie :(

18. RWP

RWP

Jul 1, 2006
    +1 on this.
    Also my son in the 4th grade waited patiently to be able to play dodge ball (4th grade up) only to have it BANNED when he got to the 4th grade! We live in a risk adverse society for sure. TORT REFORM!!!

19. fr0me0

fr0me0

Dec 7, 2004
    Winnipeg Canada
    i was in grade one when that happened.

20. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    That's obviouslly too good an idea to actually be considered by any type of governmental organisation.

I'd like to add something to this thread, but the sheer stupidity has berated my intelligence to the point where I can't think of anything to write that could compensate for this sad state of affairs.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021