1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

School bans tag

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by guy n. cognito, Oct 18, 2006.

1. You stole my idea! I was totally bummed when I got to your post.

But I seriously thought you were talking about the body spray until I clicked the link.

2. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Recently another school in MA (where I'm from), Framingham, has banned tag as well.

They want the kids to come up with a "no contact" version of the game. That is rediculous.

I truely am worried about how my nephews and future kids are going to grow up in this society as kids. People talk about kids losing their innocence way too soon, well banning fun activities, and in the holiday season banning any sort of celebrations doesn't help.

3. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Well people, all great empires fall eventually. We are just now one step closer. :rollno:

I will also refer all to my sig. It is a great quote by one of our founding fathers. I mention that as to some of our younger members might not know who he is since we are also changing what is taught about our history. :scowl:

Yep, I just love were our society is going. :meh:

4. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Great sig quote. You're exactly right. I wouldn't be surprised if kids today thought Ben Franklin was only an arts and crafts store..

5. Phil Mastro

Phil Mastro

Nov 18, 2004
    Montréal
    Awesome quote indeed. I'd noticed it before, but never mentionned how awesome I thought it was. I think it's even more import for people to remember this now than ever.

6. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    I like Mr. Franklin's other quote:
    "We hear of the conversion of water into wine at the marriage in Cana as a miracle. But this conversion is, through the goodness of God, made every day before our eyes. Behold the rain which descends from heaven upon our vineyards; there it enters the roots of the vines, to be changed into wine - a constant proof that God loves us, and loves us to be happy."

Or, as it's often paraphrased, "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    Great quote. Sigged :)

8. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    No, beer is just proof that people like getting drunk. :D

9. Diggler

Diggler

Mar 3, 2005
    Western PA
    Beer is proof that God loves us, but hangovers are proof that there are still consequences!

10. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Maybe God gave us beer and Satan gave us hangovers? ;)

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    To a Jew, God gave us both :p

To an Atheist... Science gave us both :D

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    To a Daoist: Hey, just roll with it.

13. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA
    Stop with all your smart philosophy stuff and lets just play tag...

Diggler, you're it.

14. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its hilarious the people who in "Bassist 4 Life's" thread were advocating pepper spray and night-sticks, but in this thread are outraged that tag is banned and it 'stops kids being kids'.

15. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I'm totally missing the correlation here...please elaborate

16. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    The connection I see between a kid being bullied, and kids not being allowed to play tag is this:

It is *all* about kids no longer being allowed to behave like kids!

Bullying in American schools is worse than ever, and it is because kids are not allowed to fight back. If a kid fights back, they are disciplined as though *they* were the attacker! So...kids don't report bullying, or defend themselves. They just sit and take it.

You don't make a bully stop by letting him continue. When I was a kid, we called each other out, and took care of business. Bullies only pick on kids who won't fight them back. You fight 'em back, they don't bully you anymore. I'm not advocating pepper spray or weaponry. But it is unhealthy for a kid to be forced to just take the violence a bully dishes out.

And now, kids can't even *play*. They can't be physical...and kids *need* to be physical!

Being cooped up and constantly restrained in their bodies and expressions is NOT good for kids. They are kept inside, they are not allowed to make decisions, they are not allowed to even defend themselves. People wonder why there are school shootings here. This kind of cr@pola is exactly the reason why! Kids get frustrated, they can't cope, and they *lose* it.

Cherie

17. BassyBill

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I think MAYBE the implication is that bullying is a normal, healthy part of childhood, just like tag is. I suppose the next thing we'll hear is that bullying is "character building".

I hope I've got this wrong. The thought that anybody could view bullying as a necessary part of childhood and as innocent as playing kids' games is extremely disturbing at all sorts of levels.

18. I'm sure kids will be safer if they are forced to sit inside all day and chew on their ADD medications because they're hyper from sitting inside all day.

19. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Inactive

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    They need to ban breathing. Don't they know that BACTERIA and VIRUSES can travel through breath?

20. Scott in Dallas

Scott in Dallas Commercial User

Aug 16, 2005
    Dallas, north Texas
    Builder and Owner: DJ Ash Guitars
    I think that kids should learn their place in the pecking order before they get to high school and have access to guns. That's what tag and the politically incorrectly named game with a ball and the word "smear" have so much more value than people seem to realize.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021