1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Schroeder Sealed Mini 12+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Wilbyman, May 7, 2006.

1. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    OK, who has tried one of these...give me the scoop gents!!! It sounds like 26lbs of punchy goodness to me! Oh man, oh man, oh man. Particularly interested in the opinions of any Acoustic Image amp users and upright players.

W

2. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Can't help you that I havn't tried the Schroeder with an AI amp but I'm on the same track. I play both BG in a classic rock band and UB in a Jazz combo. Looking for the small lightweight rig that would handle both.

Maybe great minds think alike?

I'm considering driving up to BassNW in Seattle as they are both Schroeder and AI dealers.

Mark

3. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    my angled Mini12 was the best sounding out of the 3 I had.

4. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    It could be the ticket Mark!!! I love my AI head and haven't quite found the perfect cab for it...the HT112 is close, but it doesn't quite do it for electric. The UL112 is great but doens't do it for upright. The sealed Mini 12+ could do it. I just would like to hear from someone who has used it for upright.

5. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Dude, I have one.

Skip down here and try it out.

6. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Seriously? Hmmm...got any gigs coming up?

W

7. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    Yeah.

I've got a problem with my Walkabout and it's waiting on my next paycheck to take a trip to a repairshop. So, I haven't taken it to my last two gigs(running direct).

But, I do have a gig this weekend in charleston, next week in south charleston, huntington on the 26th and racine on the 29th.

If you wanna make it down for one of those I can bring the cab if you're wanting to check it with your focus(if I don't get the boogie fixed in time)

8. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Be sure to call first. Last time I was in they had one AI head and a Schroeder 1210, and that was all. But that was a couple of weeks ago. Just call before you drive up, though!

Cheers,
    Liam

9. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    Yeah, I traded an email with them today. The clarus heads are back-ordered and they don't stock the Schroeder 12's. They'd be happy to order it for me sight unseen (or ears unheard). :p So I'm in the same boat as far as demo-ing the cab. Pete's Bass in Portland has an AI head and the matching cab to demo but not another cab. I tried the set with my UB and it would be stunning for that. Just looking for something with more throw for the rock band.

Mark

10. appler

appler Guest

I'm in the same boat: AI Clarus user looking for a small, powerful 1x12 cabinet for doubling gigs. The Schroeder website lists the Mini 12 and Mini 12+ at 30 pounds, the Mini 12 Light at 22 pounds, and the Mini 12+ Light at 26 pounds. The weight seems to change every time I check the website. Is that because of the new front-firing speaker design?

11. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    I have a Mini 12+ that I bought about six weeks ago. I'm powering it with a Markbass head. I've done one gig in a small pub. The clarity of tone completely walked away from an Ampeg B100R that the regular bass player uses. For a change, I didn't spend the evening mucking around with the EQ to get a reasonable sound, which Ampeg was challenged to give and failed to do.

I've been holding back on a review until I get a couple of more gigs under my belt. I had an outdoor one last Sunday that got rained out. This Saturday, I play to a crowd of 200. I'll post something after that one.

For starters, my cab is the 4phm model. That allows my Markbass to deliver a rediculous 450 watts: much much more than I will ever need or use. I can load in in one trip without a dolly. That alone is worth a lot of points in my book. I have been impressed with the tone. It does have a low-mid focus and I'll have to get a couple of gigs under my belt in different rooms to ensure it delivers "my sound". That's been my hesitation in jumping up and down
    about it. So far, it sounds good.

My Mini 12+ is the older style angled cab.

12. SnoMan

SnoMan Words Words Words

Jan 27, 2001
    Charleston, WV
    I noticed that also

I are confused

13. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Hey Sno I'm going to send you a note. Thanks.

W

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Im really pleased with my MB SA450 and 1210. like you i have a 4ohms cab and it does sound realy punchy and loud. i got the SA450 Because of the extra control of the mid range but so far i have only used the two filters and can get more or less any sound i need although i generly dont change the EQ at gigs. if i get a sound im happy with ill just leave the amp alone and the SA450 seems to be one of those amps where you dont need to fiddle.
    I do find that sometimes the 1210 is a bit full on and all mid but thats what it does best i guess.

15. bassjam

bassjam Supporting Member

Aug 2, 2004
    dfw
    Lakland Basses, G&L Basses, Genzler Amplification

could be wrong but i think both versions are avaliable.i was told somewhere the front firing idea came from the request of upright players.i think originally the regulars were going to be angled and the lights were to be front firing.he may have changed that though.

16. LowNote

LowNote Supporting Member

Jan 31, 2002
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    I own one of the original Mini12+ cabinets that is ported and has the angled speaker and one of the new Mini12+L cabinets that is sealed with a front firing 12. The two sound very different to my ears. I love the sound of the angled Mini for bass guitar, and it is light (weight in the mid-30's) and small enough to be a very viable single cab solution for smaller rooms. I wasn't crazy about the sound for upright however, as it has that slight edge that Schroeders have that allows them to cut through a mix so effectively but sound slightly unnatural with upright. With the sealed Mini12+L, Jorg has developed the perfect speaker for upright players. Mine weighs 30 pounds and it is incredibly smooth and natural sounding.

Both cabinets are incredibly efficient and capable getting very loud if you need it, but the sealed cab sounds wonderful for the kind of straight ahead jazz that I'm playing with it. Putting these two 4-ohm cabinets together, and driving them with a new Acoustic Image Series III Focus, I get 1000 watts of output and more volume than I will ever need and tons of head room. It is a wonderful combination for doubling gigs.

One other comment about the Schroeders. The tweeter on these is very effective and can produce all the high end you would need. Since I don't do any slapping/tapping/popping, I find myself setting the tweeters at about 9:00 and I like that level.

The only other cabinet combination that I have also been using is for loud upright gigs, e.g., an 18-piece big band in a large room. For these jobs, I've also used the sealed Mini12+L with a ContraEX cabinet, both being driven by the AI Focus. This combination produces an incredibly natural sound that is loud. I had this rig at a rehearsal the other night, and the pianist made a point of telling me it was the best string bass amplification setup he had ever heard.

Although it is not the topic of this thread, I also want to sing the praises again of the AI Series III Focus. For less than 5 pounds, this amp is incredible--so much so that I've sold my Walter Woods Ultra and put a bunch of money in the bank to boot. My workhorse bass--an Eastman hybrid with Fishman Full Circle--is very much on the boomy side, and the Hi Pass Filter allows me to completely dial out the low end mud. I find myself setting the bass and mid controls at about 9:00, the treble at 2:00 and the Hi Pass Filter between Noon and 1:00. As I've told others, I strive for notes that sound like cubes with eased edges and not spheres or blobs--i.e., punchy. For really low volume upright gigs, then I turn the HiPass filter way down and add more bass eq. This gives me the "my bass only louder" sound that is cool for what are almost acoustic gigs.

Erik Hansen
    Los Angeles

17. Thus far I do the upright with the AI Focus series III through the Avatar 112 Neo. Clearly the Avatar cannot handle all the power of the Focus. But it's enough in most situations. The sound is very clear and always present. Even on low volumes.

I ordered the Schroeder 1212 light. This one will be here by the end of the month. Cannot wait ..... :hyper:

18. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany

Hello!

This is a really interesting thread! I just contacted Jorg Schroder to order an angled Mini 12 light with the neodym speaker. As I live in Ireland I didn't get a chance to test any of his speakers, but I am aware of the superb reputation of his cabs.

I am just wondering about LowNotes comments about the angled Mini not suiting his UB playing in a jazz context.

Now, I play fretless BG, but I am still wondering if a front firing cab might be better for my needs. I am playing mainly jazz in a "electric bebop" kind of style. My bass has only a bridge pup, so if the cab had a warm coloration to it, that would be great. The sound I am looking for is a bit like Jaco playing "Donna Lee", warm but still with definition.

I am also considering going 4 ohm to get the maximum 300 watt from my Eden WT 300. Currently I am playing through a 8 ohm Eden d112XLT, which just does not give me the warmth and sound pressure at higher volumes I am looking for (and its 15 pounds more). So, am I deceiving myself in thinking that 300 watt through the Schroeder Mini might just give me that little extra? And should I think front firing instead of angled? Although i quite like the "magic box" looks of the angled one.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Curt

ps. This is my first post, nice to be here!

19. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Curt: my comment is "call Jorg and ask."
    He is extremely knowledgable about what works best for special applications, and is a great guy. He'll get you all set up.

20. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    Talked to Jorg, got his advice and ordered a 4 ohm mini 12 light, the ported and angled version, no tweeter.

This is what he said about the different options available:

-the ported angled Mini 12light has the most low end of all 3;
    -the ported front fired has less low end, is a little tighter in the mids and high mids, and
    -the sealed front fired model is mainly designed for electric and acoustic upright players; a sealed
    model produces less feedback while playing acoustic upright.

Have to say its a pleasure dealing with this guy, responded always within a few hours to my emails, and he seems to know what he is talking about.

Cant wait to get this cab.