Sealed Cabs = Solution to Boomy Rooms?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Dec 9, 2005.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge

I'm really high on the old, discontinued Bag End Shallow cabinets. They roll off pretty high, 50 hz I think and they're down significantly at 40. However... I can dial in some lows with the EQ and the cab's just have a wonderful presence to them. Sometimes what's on paper has no bearing on what happens on stage... as a former sound guy, I know what my rig can do to the house mix. So for me, go with the least I can and let the FOH do it's thing...YMMV

2. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Hiya Jacove. Not blurry at all. One big problem was I was stuck in the corner to the side of the rig. Sometimes I stand there purposely to hear in the mix (with any cab). This room turned out NOT to be boomy at all as I was expecting. The stage was smaller and had a rail around it... :rolleyes: There just wasn't that big of a diff better or not from the EW. My bandmates claimed they could hear me a bit better with the EW, but that is from memory as I didn't have it there to AB. I was however, counting on a better "cut" than the EW and it was about the same all in all. Were the EW suffered the NV shined and visa versa. Bottom line is the NV is definately tighter on the bottom and lower mid, but not as crystal clear from there up. Only one gig though and first time in that room... I'm going to give it some more testing now that I have the option to buy the loaned NV215. I wish i still had my DB750 now, but the TF or Dem/CA9 will do the trick. I plan on bringing both those amps to the next gig in Jan.

3. dancinDaveNY

dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    all I know is, I just got a DB750 and she works best, for stage volume anyway, with a vintage, sealed, Ampeg SVT-410Pro. I'll take a pic as soon as my battery is charged. I've got solid, punchy and loud bass with my Quantum 6 and the treb and mid at about 1 o'clock and the bass rolled off to about 11 o'clock on the Ag. If I play anything outside I'll bring the 4 Eden XLTs but the Ag DB750 and 1 sealed 410 gives me everything I need for just about any club, I would think. I've only played a large party house with it so far but it was a pretty big room holding, I'd estimate, about 300+ people. That 1/2 cab barked right back at me. No boom!
    <smiles> dD

4. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I actually think the DB750 is a excellent match for the NV215...the slighte middy texture of the db750 blends great with the 15" and the tighness of the cab...even thought the db750 sounds great witht the nv610, I think the Nv215 is a better match...Normally I cut the mids when using the nv610, cut the highs when using the el whappo, witht the NV215 I just leave everythin flat... ;)

5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting. I may have to give that combo a try one of these days. Of course, it'll be hard to match my SA200 or V8 with the NV215! :D

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 22, 2021