1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Second cab help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by darknes40, Dec 11, 2011.

1. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    Hey so right now I'm running a shuttle 6.0 with a kustom groove 410 cab running at 8 ohms, I've been thinking of adding a second cab to bring it up to 4 ohms for full power and I'm trying to decide between another 410 and a 115,

I was thinking a 115 for added low end but I have a few problems with that. For one I'd obviously want my 410 on top but its like 115 lbs and quite large dimension wise compared to other cabs I've seen so I don't know if it will be too big to put on top,

The other problem is that I've heard multiple people talking about matching a 410 with another 410 only because of the power distribution, and have heard many horror stories as of late backing that up, and while I know lots of people who use a 410 along side a 115 these horror stories still make me take a step back when trying to decide.

So if you guys were in this situation what would you do? And either way should I try to get another kustom cab or does brand really matter?

2. YES to another 410, NO to a 115. As far as brand, if you like the way your current cab sounds why try to break that? Mixing brands can either work well, work okay or work badly. ;)
    Matching your current cab by all rights WILL increase your low end (unless you need to replace that brand altogether).

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    115s don't go any lower than 410s, are less sensitive and handle less power. Otherwise they're a perfect match.:meh:

4. You acknowledge and accept one of the issues so I think you know the answer to your own question. ;)

5. Never EVER pair a 4x10 with a single 15. The 15 will be unable to keep up with the 4x10 in any regard. Please do a search on this as it come up every few days. The ideal second cabinet is one identical to the first.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Like a broken record: matched cabs ALWAYS work well together.

7. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    I thought it had but I couldn't find it for the life of me,

8. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    And if I find a good deal on a 410 how. Much headroom is recommended, like I'll be running at 600 watts(max) so is 300 going to be fine or should I go higher? My current is 500 watt so no problems there

9. If you don't go with a like cab (brand and model) to match, look for 600-800 watts input. You won't know for sure if the other brand cab is rated the same as your current cab.

10. Wattage ratings cannot reliably be used as a guide to match bass cabs with heads. It really is a shame that the marketing people know that most people do not understand this. Your bass frequencies will cause a mechanical failure before they reach their thermal limit. If XMAX and sensitivity were widely available then we could make better informed decisions.

Your best bet is to get an identical match to the cab you already have. I'm curious about one thing, you stated that you want to max out your amp but you don't say why. Is your current rig not loud enough?

11. it could also be wired with a reverse polarity and the cabinets would never work together.

12. VERY true. :D

13. darknes40

darknes40

Oct 11, 2011
    This is more just for "in the future" right now the 375 watts as workin well enough for most gigs, it's just for if I find in the future that I want the full 600, and with me if I have questions I don't know the answer to they drive me crazy. Haha

14. Always better to know BEFORE the fact than after. :D

15. That's cool that you're doing the research. That's how you know, right? My advise in your case is to not worry about the amount of watts your amp can put out, just be sure you can get loud enough for your situation. If you need more volume, adding a matching cab will get you louder mostly because of the added speakers, not so much because of the additional watts.

16. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    + another 4x10...............................:cool:

17. Wattage doesn't equate to volume, speaker area does. 10,000 watts is just as loud as 300 through the same cab. You will be limited by the physical properties of the cab.

18. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Cone displacement matters, cone area does not.

19. If all other stats are equal, wouldn't a larger speaker be louder given the same current?

20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    i'm guessing "displacement" means cone area and cone travel put together.