Selling Basses

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MNbassist, Oct 16, 2006.

1. I've made a few basses now, and im getting pretty good at it, Now i want to start sellingn them. It usually costs me about 600 to make the bass, is it gonna be tough making good profit off of them? Also does anybody know good places to sell them to? Also if anyone has tips to cut down cost and keep the quality

2. tribal3140

tribal3140 Inactive

Nov 9, 2004
    near detroit...uh
    I have heard from the many builders I deal with
    its no way to get rich but if you love it then hell yes.
    contact brian at the low end bass shop he'll have some good insite.
    probably have you send a couple to see how they play and test the waters.
    Good LUCK!

keeping costs down is usually buying in bulk (parts etc.)
    outsourcing and buying bulk rough lumbers from direct importers.
    the only problem with that is the cash you need to buy that kind raw materials.

anyone else? $.02

3. also, you can sell them in the tb classified. You could also try going to places where they have live music and talk to the bassist. Bring along a bass in your car and offer to let them try it out.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    There are many guitar shows around the country, and serve as a good place to get your name out to retailers and people who might not otherwise have a chance to see your work. You can also contact bass only retailers, ebay, craigs list, etc. Anywhere you can put one of your basses, will get some notice, and it's really worth having them in some type of public eye.

As for keeping costs down, like Tribal said, buying bulk is mandatory. talk to the companies you like to use, and sometimes they will make you deals on quantity. I buy Tuners in bulk, 20 - 30 sets at a time, and usually pay about $22 to $26 for a set of four. I also have pick-ups wound for me by a local winder. This is also a big savings. Woods are a little harder, unless you have dealt with sellers directly. A lot of sellers that have really nice figured stuff, 3A to 5A stuff charge obnoxious prices for it. Look to local hardwood sellers, develop a repoire with them, and you will find you get the better pieces for reasonable prices as you become more regular. Try to avoid the overpriced sellers, unless they have something you REALLY need. Otherwise it's not justifyable to spend $300 for a top set you can find somewhere else for $100. You just have to do your research when it comes to woods. Good Luck.

Also.....buy rough sawn whenever possible, if you have a planer or surface sander....another big savings.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 23, 2021