1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Serious Bass Help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Moiez, Apr 25, 2010.

1. Moiez

Moiez

Apr 25, 2010
    Hello, this is my first day on this place and first thread of course.

I've been playing bass for a year and half now and want to buy a new bass. something around the intermediate level.

I have my eyes set on the Fender Standard Jazz bass which goes for 600 bucks. but then i was thinking "what if i get a cheaper bass and customize it with pickups and really nice strings?" i bought stainless steel, medium gauge D'adarrios.

so i'm also looking at a used fender FSR which is 423 bucks.

i'm also confused about what would be really nice J pups to get. i don't play anything hard like metal, just alternative, ska and stuff along the lines of Rage and RHCP.

the QUESTION: should i just go with the more expensive bass or should i buy the cheaper bass and get nice passive J pickups?

Much thanks in advance. :)

2. Used gear is almost always the best value for the money. I would look around until I found a used bass I liked, put a new set of strings on and then play it for a while. I'm not a big fan of upgrading "just because".