1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SERIOUS OD/DIST ISSUE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by slapstick13, Apr 27, 2010.

1. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    I'm still on the search for a USEABLE dirt pedal. I use an ampeg svt3 pro/ 410 cab. After spending a lot of money on pedals, the main thing Ive found is that a pedal will sound great playing by myself, by non have really been usable in my band.

Had boss od3, sold it. Got a bass big muff, enjoy it but it just doesnt sit right in my bands mix. Bought a VT bass, LOVE IT
    during solo practice, but at band practice I just find the tone of my 3 pro cutting through better(as the VT bass can be a tone hog, not letting my amp have its character) so I leave the pedal off. Maybe what Im looking for is a really TRANSPARENT pedal!? Allowing my jazz bass and my 3-pro to have their voice in the tonal spectrum. Anyone PLEASE have any suggestions, other than buying an svt 2 pro which would be ultimate but financially impossible for me. Just looking to add some dirt to my tone. Thanks!!

2. Demonturtle

Demonturtle

Mar 24, 2008
    Belgium
    I'm having the same problem, have the ODB 3, have the bass big muff, have the VT bass, but I can't seem to find a nice overdrive that can give me a nice round overdriven sound, but still keep the lows

3. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    If you want cut, a Tubescreamer-style circuit could work.

Find a modded version like the Analogman TS9DX or try out the Fulltone BassDrive which is based off that somewhat, but has it's own flair.

I never found the ODB-3 useful, IME.

4. slapstick13

slapstick13

Feb 5, 2010
    Anyone use a fulltone OCD for bass? I used to have that for guitar and it was my favorite most transparent od ive ever used for guitar. Ive read on here than some prefer the OCD over the fulltone bass driver for bass . Any experience? Will it retain low end?

5. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    I agree w/ the Fulltone Bass Drive w/ MOSFET. Run it at 18V.

An EQ pedal would help too. You can boost your mids and lows mids before a dirt or fuzz pedal to help you cut in a mix.

Remember that what sounds good in your bedroom usually doesn't sound good when g****rs come into the mix. Mids are your friend and and EQ and/or tubescreamer variants will help with that.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    ^^^

Good call. I ended up adding a Boss Bass EQ to the loop I had my Analogman Tubescreamer in, and it let me dial in exactly what I wanted. Always got compliments on the tone.

7. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    i play through a marshall 200 watt ibs solid state combo

if you are using a bass with active electronics try picking up an old blue tube 903 pedal from tube works on ebay

it sounded great with my friend's dean zone bass i borrowed, and the knobs on it actually are quite useful for dialing in tones from early 60's british rock to fuzzy post punk

i don't use it with my highway one precision, because it already sounds thick, warm, and round through the marshall with no effects

8. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    vegas532/Thom Brady let me know that the OCD is in fact very transparent, even more than the Fulltone Bass Drive w/ MOSFET, holds the lows, and punches w/ great mids and low mids.

zapped777 likes this.
  9. faceinbass

faceinbass

Apr 20, 2008
    KCMO
    B:Assmaster, BassHotCakeOD, BassBitFuzz are 3 dirts I know set in a band mix.
    Running them into the rustybox just pushes them further into the "I am heard and felt" zone of playing with guitars and drums.

The fulltonebassdriver worked as well but....
    It was kind of "boring" and "uninspiring" imo. I really wanted to like it too.
    I bought an 18v power supply and still, kind of "lifeless" compared to the sound in my head.... Its just not for me. YMMV.

All in all, the hot cake sounds so much more "ballsy" than the FBD.
    I think I like and want pedals to color my sound.
    Transparancy is for windows.

10. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    I use the Ibanez Pd7 Phat-Hed with my svT4Pro and 410HLf , works great for me.

11. I like the old Turbo Rat, the Rat Deucetone and Juggernaut.
    I also like to split my signal and run one input on my amp clean, one dirty.
    Though of course you need a two input amp for that to work!
    It is very true that what works in the bedroom (or at the studio sans band) is not the same thing once cymbals and guitars start eating up real estate.

12. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If you play metal, I would recommend either the digitech xbd bass overdrive/distortion pedal, the tech 21 xxl bass edition distortion pedal, or the mxr bass d.i+.