1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Seven @ the Bug Jar 3/15/18

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Jay Corwin, Mar 16, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Jay Corwin

Jay Corwin Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'm going Cliff style on a dive bar gig. Last night we played a short set at the Bug Jar, a dive bar mainstay in Rochester, NY. It's one of those local music bars that's been around a long time, and is so important for original music. You know the type - they ain't pretty but they support the artists.

The flier in the window.
    20180315_214800.jpg

The lovely bathroom. Two of the bands I play in are displayed via stickers above the urinals. Look mom, I'm famous.
    20180315_214715.jpg

Gear storage area which usually partially blocks the either the path to the ladies room, or the emergency exit.
    20180315_214945.jpg

My rig. I'll also be adding a HPF soon. I really need to build a board at this point. The PF350 is just a power amp in this setup. It goes Paradriver - Bodyrez - PF350 FX return. The CMDI splits my signal to send to FOH and my amp.
    20180315_223455.jpg

The inept sound guy didn't even know it was a bass cab initially. He had it mic'd, and asked him if he'd rather DI me. His answer was, "Oh I just saw two guitar cabinets back there so I mic'd them"......um I'm the bass player. "There's a bass cabinet back there"? I guess no ones heard of Ampeg. He also got the show off 40 minutes late.
    20180315_223451.jpg

The guitar/banjo amp. The drum kit wasn't for us. We played as a three piece, pretty much on top of each other stuffed in the corner. It caused all kinds of sound problems for the bass player. Open note D felt like a concussion in the corner!
    20180315_223459.jpg

The set list. Abbreviations and no keys needed at this point. I've been with them for almost three years now. ***Bonus points to anyone who identifies the cover on the list***
    20180316_082144.jpg

Kick drum.....
    20180315_223523.jpg

And a shot from the bass players view. Matt and were dodging each other all night. It's a skill you acquire playing upright. You're always in some one's way, and always have one hand on the bass.
    20180315_223509.jpg

2. MOAR PICS! :)

Charles Meador, mwbonsall and nixdad like this.
  3. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I love little places like this that have a lot of character. When the patrons are allowed to decorate the walls the "dive" gets a lot of personality and charm.

Sorry for your lousy sound guy. Did he at least say, "Gimme some kick drum"?

I feel like I'm always in someone's way too and I don't even play upright. It must be a bass player thing. ;)

Thanks for sharing! Hey, is driving and parking a hassle? Or is that only in NYC proper?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

mwbonsall, digmeout, nixdad and 2 others like this.
  4. McG

McG Goat Hill Gamblers

Oct 6, 2010
    Costa Mesa, CA
    Cool little gig. I sure wish Tough Old Bird played around here. Love your sound.

I've experiencred a lot of substandard sound techs but that's a new low. :laugh:

I was on a stage like that a while back. I could barely touch the D on the A string and it was still loud but the C below it I had to pluck hard to have any volume. :woot:

Me and my long scale are always at risk of causing injury to poor unsuspecting band mates. :D

Ha! Perfect!! :cool:

mwbonsall, nixdad and sevenyearsdown like this.
  5. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I live about 1.5 hours from Rochester. The drive is easy, and it's not that big of a city. Parking at this place is easy. There are other joints I've played there with no parking anywhere close. Buffalo is much worse. I took a 30 dollar parking ticket last weekend.

nixdad, McG and BassCliff like this.
  6. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    The Bug Jar is a cool place but was in danger several years ago of being shut down by the city. There was a shooting right outside the place (fight started inside and spilled outside after closing) and other incidents (including a knife being pulled on security), all within a short period of time.

Probably not unlike other dive bars in any other city. At least they cleaned up and stayed open. Right now the Bug Jar is one of a handful of places left in the area that consistently has live music.

biguglyman, nixdad, McG and 2 others like this.
  7. pjbassist

pjbassist

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Great job on the gig report, but if you want to be up to par with Cliff, you gotta get the date correct in the thread title...I honestly clicked on the thread thinking that you were plugging an upcoming show.

My 2 guesses on the set list are:

Lay Down Sally
    Ramblin Man

?????

nixdad likes this.
  8. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    20180316_162834.png

9. ^ Now that is what im talkin about!!
    Standup bass in a hole in the wall type bar.
    Order me a round!

mwbonsall, McG and sevenyearsdown like this.
  10. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Lol yeah I fixed it. I was working on the OP after about 4.5 hours of sleep, no breakfast, and a strong cup of coffee. Clearly I was not ready!

McG likes this.
  11. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I'll give you a hint. It's on the set list in the picture.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Truth be told, I've only been playing Rochester the last 2/3 years. So I'm not familiar with its seedy past.

13. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    You're not missing much. The music scene here has declined a whole bunch over the years, but the Bug Jar is still a cool place to be.

14. Jay Corwin

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    Don't you guys have a major music/performing arts school there?

15. Mike N

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Yes, the Eastman Theater is in Rochester. For classical and acts like the RPO (Rochester Philharmonic Orchestra) I suppose you could do well in this city, for your average covers/originals bar type band, it ain't what it used to be.

sevenyearsdown likes this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
  17. I'm loving the folding chair / drum throne situation.

sevenyearsdown and mikewalker like this.
  18. mikew31

mikew31 Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2008
    Superior, WI
    Nice gig report! Those type of dives can be fun to play. Always a story to tell when you're done.

Firefly is the cover. I know a version by Dan Zanes. Great song.

19. mikewalker

mikewalker Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2017
    Canada, Eh!
    Firefly in the Bug Jar is apropos ...:)

20. rocu

rocu

Jan 28, 2015
    Missoula, MT
    Looks like fun. Thanks for sharing.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 8, 2021