1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

[sfx] AY2 - (Yamaha NE-1 takeoff)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman blue, Apr 27, 2010.

1. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Bellingham
    Max just built me a new pedal. It's a major improvement on the old Yamaha NE-1 pedal. If you recall the NE-1, imho, had one good setting. This pedal has three different notch filters and there isn't an unusable sound to be found...

This is an amazing pedal. If you haven't tried one of his [sfx] creations, you owe it to yourself. I caught myself smiling tonight while tweaking new tones out of it... it's been a long time since I've had so much fun with a pedal.

Attached Files:

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Damn, Max is just taking the effects world by storm.

3. Marcus Willett

Marcus Willett

Feb 8, 2005
    Palm Bay, FL
    Endorsing Artist: Bag End - Dean Markley - Thunderfunk
    Interesting. I always liked the NE-1 but also thought it could have been so much better with more parameters. Is this a custom-build, or are they going to manufacture it?

4. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    CLIPS!

5. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    Thanks bassman - I am happy to hear that you like it. I must admit I really enjoyed testing it :)

I wish. :bawl:

It was a custom shop unit but I could build another one...

I used to have a NE-1 but I couldn't find a setting that I really liked so I started to modify it. I posted the mods on an UK forum and after a while bassman blue asked me to build a version of the NE-1 that incorporated the changes.

I thought it was a good opportunity to give the circuit a new life. I improved the mods, add true-bypass switching, redesigned the circuit and used better quality components. The result is the AY2.

6. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    Wow. Beautiful pedal. I'm in the market for something like this.

7. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Max, it seems as though the more I look around for what I feel are the most useful products for my needs, the more I realize that this is all just research for what I'm going to comission from you.

The NE-1 is one of the few products that I've tried to take off my GAS list, and now it is off the list - almost...since this is sort of an NE-1.

Hope to have the cashflow to drop you $5-700 in the next 2 years for the few products I will want.

SFX continues to impress.

8. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    +1!

9. I see it's for sale so I'm gonna bite, I use the NE1 all the time for recording sessions and really appreciate the updated features and size.

10. It's on the way, can't wait, want now......

11. chessrocks

chessrocks

Aug 8, 2011
    What would something like this do that a regular 'ol EQ pedal wouldn't?

12. It is a variable notch filter so you can find the sweet spot, I use the NE1 all the time. This format should be more convenient and I'm sure Max has added some of his magic .
    Eq pedals have fixed notches, not always in the best of places for bass.

13. Thanx but it ain't the same thing at all.

14. Awesome job from Max! Had the AY2 for one day and having so much fun wringing out tones from subtle to extreme this is going to be fun. Has enough gain to boost lower output basses, the 3 way switch offers instant delicious options, stands up to higher output basses without overload, plays well with my other effects and is dead quiet as in studio quiet.
    The trusty old NE1 is already sold cuz this is so much better.

15. I was able to really put the AY2 thru the paces on my 2 tone demanding gigs, jazz 5tet and instrumental trio, and it shone thru like a champ. I was able to get a nice vintage P-bass tone shallow mids touch of roll off on the highs, nice finger round tone and a semi modern slap sound all by just flipping the 3 way toggle and instantly go to the naturally aggressive tone of my main bass.

16. This one setting, are you talking about the famous "Shallow 7"?

17. On the NE1 the only setting i ever used regularly was deep 4, nothing else seemed to do much for my ear.

On the AY2 it is very different. I am finding that it is a not one setting fits all basses. For my main squeeze '82 Carvin LB50 Koa it's 11 o'clock, the 3 toggle settings give me 3 delicious tones.
    On the Gibson G-3 it's just past noon for the sweet spot.
    On my 82 Carvin with EMG HB pups it's like 9:30 on the clock.

18. It's bumpo time for this really nifty sounding pedal.
    Since October it's really getting put thru the paces with several more recording projects, the Micro Thump, AY2 and Submarine are making every track just right, in most cases the mix engineer isn't even having to touch the signal to get the tracks to sit in the mix. The Micro Thump tames the rumble, AY2 shapes the mids and Submarine adds the warmth and subtle compression.

19. bump since there has been some discussion

20. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    Bump getting my AY2u soon it's the micro version of the AY2 can't wait I have two NE-1's which I will keep