1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SFX Thumpinator/Micro Thumpinator question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by maniac mikej, Sep 30, 2013.

1. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    Hi all! Can anybody on here give me a list of the capacitor values and the ICs used in their thumpinators/micro thumpinators?

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I'm sure you could just build a LR 24dB per octave 30Hz hpf with low noise opamps and have the same thing.

3. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    Sorry, not sure exactly what you mean by that. I'm looking to clone a thumpinator circuit, or something almost identical to it.

4. gricko

gricko

Mar 29, 2004
    isn't that a bit 'not cool', if not illegal?
    somebody put in some serious effort and hours in developing the circuit and you ask for info in order to clone the said circuit. on the public forum, also visited by developer.

5. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    And I just gave you the recipe. I'm not trying to be a jerk but SFX is a no nonsense company and the thumpinator is a no nonsense product using industry standard filters. I can post links to what I'm talking about when I get near a computer.

6. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    Thank you.

7. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    I don't know how much you know about electronics but what you need to build is the high pass portion of the crossover:

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/filters.htm#3

You will need to adjust the frequency using the formula at the bottom of the picture.

You will most likely need a buffer added to the input.

http://www.muzique.com/lab/buffers.htm

Your power supply options are endless. If you plan on using a 9 volt battery you will either have to convert that to a bipolar supply or create a 1/2V reference voltage and convert the schematic as necessary.

8. pbass6811

pbass6811 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Indy, IN
    That's just details, my boy!! :D

If I wanted a Micro Thumpinator(which I do), I would just buy one from Max(which I will), but I'm curious to see if the OP can pull this off...

:bag:

9. BigBeatNut

BigBeatNut

Apr 10, 2006
    London, UK
    Max ([sfx]) has participated, and given help in fact, in similar threads before.

See http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f36/sp%E6kerb%9Cx-27-2hz-high-pass-filter-896616/

That was slightly different however as it was clear from the start that what he wanted to build something like a thumpinator for himself. It's not so clear here what the OP's intentions are.

It was also clear that the guy in the other thread had trouble getting it to work completely to his satisfaction. I suspect Max's business is not going to be under threat from these 'copy' Thumpinators.

That's high-pass surely ? You want to be throwing away the lows (sub 30 Hz).

10. Phagor

Phagor

Mar 26, 2002
    London, UK
  11. Projectile

Projectile

Feb 5, 2009
    Definitely not illegal. Even if the circuit is is patented, which is highly unlikely, anyone is still free to copy and share schematics or parts list. You just can't sell it (if there is a patent). Whether it's "not cool" is highly debatable. There is a long history of people sharing schematics in the DIY electronics world, and it generally isn't frowned upon. There was a time when companies used to even publish the schematics right in the user manual. As long as copies aren't being made to sell, there is no harm done. It's generally more expensive to clone a circuit when you figure in all of the time and money spent doing research, sourcing parts, building, testing, etc., so it's not like a few guys making a one-off clone in their own free time are going to hurt company profits. We just like to build stuff and learn.

12. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser

Feb 17, 2011
    New England
    That's how I feel about it. And I'm quite certain few could duplicate the build quality of [sfx] and others like them. So yeah; I'm sure their market shares are quite safe.

I'm in the process of building several cloned effects, and for considerably less than the retail price of any of them. Actually, in the end, my total cost of 10 effects will be less than the average cost of any one of them.

But the ridiculous amount of time spent researching schematics, sourcing parts and finally building/testing them makes it a hobby at best. Those fine companies can keep their sales. I don't intend on competing with them. And if I were ever to make money using those effects, I'd save up and buy the originals.

But that's just me.

13. father of fires

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Indeed. It was a typo. I'll correct it.

14. maniac mikej

maniac mikej

Oct 28, 2010
    Mayfield, PA
    I really can't read schematics all that well, any pedals I build are from layouts. I'm not trying to take anything away from sfx or destroy their market or anything like that, I just prefer building to buying.

However, if I wanted to change one capacitor value, claim it was my own design, and charge more than the original, I have every right to. The good news is, I don't call my effects "Lovepedal"