1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sheet Music and Hand Position: Where does the left hand go?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Jun 30, 2019.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    While I will agree that setting yourself up to get to all the notes easily is always best, and timbre should always be taken into consideration, I get what the teacher was saying. In the end, all that matters is that you play the right note at the right time. You don't always get enough time to assess the proper position when you're sightreading charts on a gig, and I've made pretzels out of my fingers on occasion. But all anyone cared about was that I hit the note, and I always managed to do it...well, not always...once in a while I goofed it good :D BL's in that situation really don't care how you kill the cow...they just want the steak. So prep the best you can for it, but just know that occasionally you'll have to make pretzels.

The only reason the bands that I've worked with ever require a 5 is for doing "Uptown Funk" by Bruno Mars. I've got a Hipshot double stop XTender on my E string that I can tune to drop D or B, and that always satisfies anyone's occasional need for those low notes. But I can't do "Uptown Funk" on anything but a 5 and have it come out sounding good. Other than that I've done a grat job avoiding it.

2. obimark

obimark

Sep 1, 2011
    Agree- hand position is huge whether electric bass or acoustic.

IamGroot likes this.
  3. My first double bass instructor talked a lot about the nuances of position and fingering and shifting. Blah blah blah. Most of it went over my head at the time. I wished i had listened better.