1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shift Line - Olympic MkIII Tube Bass Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nunovsky, Feb 14, 2018.

1. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    I was checking one post here on TB that mentioned the A+ Buzz Overdrive by Shift Line and I've found this preamp on their website that seems to be really good. At least considering the specs on their website: tube preamp (1x12AX7), 3 band eq, fx loop, separate headphones/line out volume, heaphones out, Aux in, IR cab sim. Not cheap but I feel my GAS meter going up with this one.

2. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Daaaaaang. What a well-thought-out hunk o' box!

BrentSimons and Nunovsky like this.
  3. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    I'm telling you guys (the generic "you", not specifically the two posters above)....y'all should stop sleeping on Shift Line! They are making excellent stuff that deserves to be included into the pantheon of great bass boxes.

57pbass, BrentSimons and Nunovsky like this.
  4. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    My thoughts exactly.
    It has everything that I believe should be in a great bass preamp, specially the fx loop, the separate volume for the xlr out and the IR cab sim, the headphones out and the aux in.
    It's one of the most complete preamps that I've seen for sale recently.

BrentSimons and two fingers like this.
  5. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    This looks really interesting! I wonder if 12V 600mA is enough for the tube. The video sounds amazing but I would like to hear a more pushed tube as well. I think I need to buy this one and check it out.

BrentSimons and Nunovsky like this.
  6. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    I just spoke to sales at Shift Line and they are offering the TalkBass community 10% off on Olympic with this code: TALKBASS2018

I just ordered one!

7. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Man, I have an EQD Data Corrupter to pick up at my local store and I can't afford another buy this month.
    But this preamp is on my GAS list. I'm already thinking of selling my Mesa Subway DI...

Zbysek likes this.
  8. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    Welllll....Sh*t. Can't afford right now.

Must....Resist.....Temptation to...Buy. Urge is....Strong....With this one. Must....Resist!!

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
  9. 2010P

2010P

May 13, 2017
    I know I keep hyping the shift Line Buzz, but I would like to also say those guys over there in St Petersburg are top notch. Super responsive and cool. I'm not surprised they offered the discount. this preamp is not quite the kind of pedal I personally have a need for, but if I did, I would be buying one for sure just based on how good the Buzz is as well as the customer service those guys have.

Embra and Nunovsky like this.
  10. Nice! Thank you for posting!
    Best wishes,
    Brent

Nunovsky likes this.
  11. JKos

JKos

Oct 26, 2010
    Torrance, CA
    It would certainly seem they listened to some of the feedback from other preamp pedals. Separate volume controls, no cab IR on the 1/4" out, can disable cab IR on the balanced (and headphone) out, etc.

Spec'd 12AX7 filament current at 12 V is 150 mA. So, plenty of the 600 mA left for other purposes.

- John

Nunovsky and TheLopp like this.
  12. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    Good call with the effects loop! It would need to blow my Le Bass out of the water tone-wise for me to consider switching (especially at that price point), but I wouldn't consider any other preamp that lacks a loop, and the smaller form factor relative to the Le Bass does make it tempting.

Nunovsky likes this.
  13. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    I will compare when I get my Olympic! And I agree, Le Bass sounds fantastic, but the small footprint is nice and hopefully the cab sim is more in my taste.

loopee, scubaduba and Nunovsky like this.
  14. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Just waiting to hear back from them to order one myself. Ticks all the boxes I was looking for (DI, headphones, aux input, proper cab sim and a compact size)!

15. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    Ordered last night! The guys were very friendly over email and answered my questions and were happy to apply the TalkBass discount! Will hopefully be the final component for my amp less setup!

Nunovsky likes this.
  16. TheLopp

TheLopp

Dec 30, 2013
    So, I’ve had this for a couple of days now and my first impressions are really good. It’s really punchy and tubey. The cab sim sounds great especially the 8x10 and when you turn up the gain it really sounds like a pushed tube amp. It goes from clean to pushed. Not distorted, more pushed if you know what I mean.
    It’s really too soon to give a proper review but so far I’m liking it a lot.

Here’s my messy try out board. Or shelf actually. It’s a shelf in a wardrobe that you can pull out, so easy to clean up. Just push the shelf back and close the door.

16A40EDF-425F-4176-A648-C49C48C2E23B.

Attached Files:

17. Stellvia

Stellvia

Jul 18, 2015
    Perth, Aus
    8C44F4C6-2E36-46E2-B892-F58E092DD622. Mine arrived a couple of days ago as well. Unfortunately moving house at the moment so only had a half hour play with it yesterday to make sure it was working.

I’ll echo the above comments, great pushed tube sound with the gain up, much more amp like than previous tube pedals I’ve tried. Flexible EQ and the two cab sims sound great! The biggest seller for me was the cab sim with headphone out and aux in so I can practice silently without the need for my amp. Pleased to report that the headphone amp in the Olympic is dead silent and the pedal sounds fantastic through headphones! The aux in is also silent! My last two headphone setups have had a lot of white noise coming from the headphone amp and my bass sounded anemic through the headphone amp on my bass amp so I’m really happy with the quality of the headphone amp on the Olympic!

Looking forward to playing with it a lot more and integrating it with my pedalboard! Very keen to see how it takes my Darkglass pedals!

Very favourable first impression! Oh, and the build quality is fantastic, feels like a quality product and is very well presented!

Kitty approves!!!

D7A5A5A7-F020-45B3-B3EA-9C85E424395A.

18. The Diaper Geni

The Diaper Geni Submissive. And loving it. Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2005
    Central Ohio
    @TheLopp and @Stellvia, is the EQ a classic kinda tone stack with “flat” being mids dimed and bass/treble all the way, or close to all the way, ccw?

Inquiring minds. Thanks!

19. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Darn. Guess I'm going to have to buy one of these. I've contacted them but still waiting for a reply.

20. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    How firm is the 600ma requirement? I'd like to power with a Cioks DC5 using two 300ma ports for a combined 600. The CIOKS will deliver the 600 but no more.