1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

shopping for bass cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Artie Facts, Jul 31, 2012.

1. Artie Facts

Artie Facts

Jul 31, 2012
    I'm shopping for a new bass cabinet. After a lot of internet research, I have narrowed my search to the 2 x 12 NEO cabinets from GK, Genz Benz and Epifani. I have been playing a variety of styles - rock, blues, r&b, pop and jazz - for 45 years now, using a vintage Precision and a Ernie Ball Sterling. I have almost destroyed my old Eden 4x10 rear ported cab using a variety of amp heads and I want something lighter weight, front ported and capable of getting loud when needed. I would welcome any opinions on the relative merits of any of the 2x12 neo cabs, (or 4x10, if you feel strongly about them) particularly why the GenzBenz 212T Uber is twice the price of the GK 212 NEO at $549.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Artie

2. What kind of head are you going to be using?

3. Artie Facts

Artie Facts

Jul 31, 2012
    I have a few - an Eden Traveler, a vintage SVT and a 500w power amp/preamp combo.

4. Cool, to answer some of your questions: The Genz uses some premium drivers, and the GK uses their own drivers. Not to say one is better than the other, just level of sourcing. I would say the construction on the genz cab is going to be a bit better, but for the money those GK cabs are a crazy good deal.

I would do some reading around here. I dig the form factor of the Genz Neo-x 212. Vertical alignment is the way to go, if you can swing a vertical stack of two 212's even better.

My recommendation across the board is to check out some of the new "super cabs": Barefaced Bass, Baer ML-112, Audiokinesis Thunderchild, fEARful and other greenboy designs. All these cabs have incredible sound per pound, and will blow the cabs you have mentioned out of the water. Even if none of these cabs provides you with the sound you want, at least check out cutting edge designs for some perspective.

5. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    ^ I would have to agree with just about everything CL400Peavey says above. There are some super nice, lightweight cab designs out today that are hard to overlook.

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 again, but those Uber 212's are really nice cabs. I own one, and LOVE it. Loud, great tone, fairly easy to schlepp.

7. Artie Facts

Artie Facts

Jul 31, 2012
    I guess I should admit that I have invariably turned off the tweeter/horn on every bass cab I've ever used, even when slapping. So, the 'hi-fi' cabinets with expensive crossovers and horns seem unnecessary (to me). I'm just looking for solid bass and mids, good dispersion, and moving the most air with the least weight. I've found that the active eq on the MM Sterling gives me more than enough highs and mids to cut through anything, even with the tweeter on the cab fully attenuated and the amp treble rolled off.

Also complicating my 2x12 search is the fact that none of the local music shops here in Dallas seem to carry these things so I can audition them.

I almost ready to buy the GK 212 NEO, unheard, just because its the least expensive, but I worry that the drivers might not be as robust as the more expensive cabs by Genz, epifani, and others. Is there any data out there about the rate of blown NEO speakers, by brand?

8. I like my fEARful 15/6. No tweeter, just a 6" mid range driver to handle the top end.

9. Bardley

Bardley

Nov 16, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    Maybe a Fearful 12/12/6 with no tweeter would be to your liking. Lots of solid bass, great mid dispersion. There are a couple guys with fearfuls around your area. Check out the map here: http://greenboy.us/forum/

10. mausc

mausc

May 12, 2011
    I have a NEO 212II that I'm toying with parting with (went to 4x10 4 ohm). The 212 is a nice cab and very easy to transport. Hit me up if you're interested.

11. christw

christw Get low!

May 11, 2008
    Dayton OH
    I want to be Tesla (tinkerer at Dayton Amp Co)
    I would vote for Genz Benz hands down. There was a used Neo 212 in my area for something around $500 in the classifieds on TB here.

12. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I'm guessing based on his strong dislike for tweeters that an 18sound mid would not be a good fit for him. One of the Duallys or Barefaced 212 might fit the bill.

13. Hmm, I don’t think anyone makes exactly what you’re describing - you’re looking for a one-way 212 cab built like a Super or Dually 15 only with killer full range 12” bass drivers. I ‘think’ all the 212s I’ve seen have tweeters (212T) but you can usually turn them off (both the GB & GK 212 cabs have good reports). Also from what you described, I sincerely doubt you’d like two-way cabs with little mid drivers anymore than you like tweeters. Try as many 212s as you can (if you have to - order them online and send them back if you don't like them) and good luck with your search.

14. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    Barefaced Super 12.... http://barefacedbass.com/product-range/super-twelve.htm

212, you can get them without tweeters (and save a few bob).

I've heard they can go very loud too...

15. Perfect.

OP, if it isn’t out of your price range - the Barefaced Super 12 (without tweeter) is the cabinet you’re looking for.

16. Artie Facts

Artie Facts

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks for all the response, I do genuinely appreciate all. The Barefaced Bass Super 12 does indeed sound - on paper - like what I'm looking for, but then it is remarkably similar to the GenzBenz NEOX 212T. Call me crazy, but I think I'd rather have an American made product, for both repair as well as ol' fashioned nationalistic reasons. So, I will be auditioning the Genz NEOX 212 and 212 UBER as soon as I can find them locally.

17. Ok, and you’re welcome. Oh, and by the way - GB has one of the best customer services on the planet - it’s so good it’s almost super natural.

18. Don't forget BFM and Greenboy designs MIA.

19. +1 on GB quality and service.

Another option is to have Don at Low Down Sound build you a custom cab to spec.

Then there's the Bill Fitzmaurice Jack 12 you can build yourself, and save some cash

http://www.billfitzmaurice.com/Jack.html

20. PlungerModerno

PlungerModerno

Apr 12, 2012
    Ireland
    A massive +1 on BFM and GreenBoy designs... on paper they are staggeringly good for bass. Barefaced makes a whole lot of sense on this side of the Atlantic... I'd be priced out of getting one if I had to pay for transatlantic delivery...

I'll let you know how the compact sounds when I get it. There are a lot of threads around here that praise GB for service. In the USA at least they are obsessive about it... IMO worth it - even if they charge a small bit extra per rig (and balance it with extra QC - like most other companies).

Go get some awsome bass cabs! :hyper: ;)