Short Scale Thoughts: G&L Fallout or Squier Classic Vibe Mustang?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike Patton, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    I'm new to the world of short-scale Bass guitars. I've tried a 32" Jaguar but am thinking of going for a 30" due to my physical limitations. I've noticed the G&L Fallout Tribute and the 60's Squier Classic Vibe Mustang "seem" to be identical in body size and shape. If you've had experience with each can you comment on if this is accurate or not? Sadly, finding these models in a store to compare has proven to be impossible (maybe due to Covid's impact on storefront retailers?). To my, admittedly, limited knowledge it looks like the G&L is possibly a more refined version - certainly the Bridge seems far beefier. Thanks in advance! 1 G&L.png 1 Squire.png

2. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I'd go Fallout, the mini L-1000 will have more tonal versatility.

3. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    Thank you - I'll do more research on the L-1000 - still learning all I can!

4. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    Having had a full scale L-1000 they were awesome. The Fallout has a arm cut which would be more comfortable too.

5. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    Arm Cut? Great! That's one of the reasons I "physically" preferred playing Strats instead of Tele or LP. Thanks for pointing that out.

woodyng2 likes this.
  6. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have to retire my slab body stuff due to a recent injury, I might get one of these to replace my '51 reissue

Mike Patton and woodyng2 like this.
  7. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    The MFD pickup with the 3-way switching capabilities, bridge, and other improvements make the GL bass the winner of this comparo. Plus that pickguard design/look is fabulous.

8. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    40+ years ago I preferred the "ergonomics" of some guitars... now at 67 - it's an imperative!

dalkowski, Bajo Clarkko and woodyng2 like this.
  9. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    I agree - Fallout simply looks better!

woodyng2 and redstrand like this.
  10. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    As a semi recent convert to GL, I have to say they’re made the way I always wished my Fenders were.
    I have a US jb2, and an L-1000. I also had an LB100 that was the best P bass I’ve ever had.
    If I was into short scale basses, I’d definitely have a Fallout.

11. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    WOW - quite the testimony! I appreciate your thoughts. I guess I need to place an order and rely on the return policy if I'm not comfortable with it. PS: I'm a DUCK from K-Falls and have family in Brookings. Where are you at?

woodyng2 likes this.
  12. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    It's apples v. peaches. I would buy the Fallout in a heartbeat if and when my ship comes in.

Mike Patton likes this.
  13. Mike Patton

Mike Patton

Dec 11, 2020
    Adding you to my "Wish List Support" - I've been watching Reverb and the G&L never popup as used - I guess that should be a good indication of the respect they're getting.

MCF likes this.
  14. Bikeguy57

Bikeguy57 Supporting Member

Check out Sweetwater for a new one. Great return policy and probably some no interest financing. Plus actual pics of the bass you're buying.

15. Spacewoman

Spacewoman

Dec 3, 2018
    The Squier is string-through-the-body. So it requires medium-scale strings, for which there are fewer options.

WillyWonka and Mike Patton like this.
  16. Having owned a Squier Mustang and various G&L`s over the years, I would go for the Fallout. The Mustang can be a bit dodgy qc wise whereas all the Tribute models I have owned have been excellent. Also, the Fallout is a lot more versatile due to the pickup switching options.

Have a look at Lobsters review, this may help you decide.

Mike Patton, leftybass54 and woodyng2 like this.
  17. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Do these really sound like a 1K?
    If they do that gives me gas for one, I had a 1K and it was an awesome bass!

Mike Patton likes this.
  18. redstrand

redstrand

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    It’s essentially a short scale wunkay

19. dalkowski

dalkowski It's "rout," not "route." Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    I never thought of that and I regret not buying one of the first wunkays new in 1980 when I had the chance.

I NEED A FALLOUT!!!

Mike Patton and lowdownthump like this.
  20. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Inactive

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Wow!!

Mike Patton and lowdownthump like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022