1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Short-scale

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Musicbiz60, May 2, 2010.

1. Musicbiz60

Musicbiz60

May 27, 2009
    I find I like a short-scale bass. Anyone know of a source for short-scale bass necks. I can't understand why Warmouth, Allparts, StewMac, etc. Don't offer these. Surely there would be a market, espacially among guitar players who want to try their hand at bass.

2. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    try Rondo Music, I know they can get you a short scale SX replacement neck, a lot of people here have had replacement necks from them.

3. GrinchBass

GrinchBass

Jul 26, 2009
    CT, Hudson Valley, Randland
    Just under Commercial Status!
    I'm sure there's many markets for many options that aren't readily available. However, the question is: how big is that market and is it truly worth it to incorporate such options and retain profitability to a company? Remember, just because it isn't in the catalog, doesn't mean some crafty conversations and a little extra money can't get you what you want.

Especially when you consider advertising, endorsements, and the press, in your particular case, you do have popular demand working against you in a big way. Besides, when I did want to try my hand on one, I went to GC and pulled one off the wall, played it (unplugged, as feel and playability were more the issue, and tone could be helped a little via electronics, strings, etc.). I liked certain things about it, but overall decided, like many, that it just wasn't for me. Not that GC would have received my money, but I knew I could find one among all the crap they hock on their walls to at least take a taste test. IMHumbleO, of course.

4. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    I think I saw some posts a couple of months ago that Warmoth will be offering short scale necks sometime this year. I agree that it's an odd "hole" in the marketplace as there seems to be demand.

5. nic salsus

nic salsus

Mar 16, 2010
    I started asking Warmoth about this several years ago and they said they would be building short scale necks at some point but that tooling up to do it was expensive and not a priority then. Maybe now's the time. I just emailed Warmoth asking about this. Will report.

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Last time that I asked Rondo about short scale necks they said that they were out of them indefinitely.

Doeringer makes short scale necks to order.

7. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
  8. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    They are becoming available. 32" and 30" J, Z and G4 body styles. The webpages and marketing fru-fru are still being fleshed out.

allscalescomparison.

9. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Interesting.
    Why the non-Fender shape, or is that optional?
    Will a Bass VI tuner arrangement be available?
    Would be cool to see a "Bronco" style body too.

10. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    The necks are not replacements for existing Fender products. As such, they cannot be made with the Fender headstock shape.

A Bass VI styled instrument is also nearing rollout.

11. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Thanks for the info, I look forward to these products.

12. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've been wanting a shortscale Warmoth neck since the '90s. Do you know if the 30" scale neck will be be available as a 2+2 Warmoth head (for G4) or as a paddlehead? Also, what nut widths will be available on the short/medium scale necks?

13. GassieBall

GassieBall

Oct 15, 2006
    Yeah, Mongo. We've been waiting forever. I guess that's why Warmoth lost my business to Landing for a short scale. With the other big guys like Lakland, Alleva Coppolo, Taylor, and Fender offering short scales, I'm surprised that Warmoth hasn't jumped on this more quickly :(

14. wyliee

wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    Hi Mongo,

No tiltbacks yet. No paddleheads, but that could become available. We're still getting the basics rolled out. 1.5" nut width on both 30" and 32".

15. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Westchester County NY
    what this consumer is looking for: 30" with 2+2 or paddlehead and 1-5/8 width at nut. One can always hope...