1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Shortest turnaround on a new bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hibachiduck, May 21, 2012.

1. I was just wondering what your shortest turnaround has been on a new bass (as in you buy a bass and get tired of it and put it back on the market). I just bought a Sterling Ray34 less than a month ago, and I already found myself in Guitar Center yesterday and bought a Fender Modern Player Jazz. I kinda had the same experience when I bought a Steinberger a while back and ended up trading it in for an Ibanez SR605 less than a month later.

I guess part of it for me is not having a Guitar Center in town, so I pretty much have to order stuff and just see if I like it or not. I played a show in Tennessee on Saturday and just was not happy with how the Ray34 played (I'm not saying it's a bad bass, just definitely not for me), and luckily we passed by Atlanta on my way back home and I stopped in and found a perfect fit for me.

2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Back in the 60s I bought a Fender Coronado. At our regular gig volume through a Showman with 2-15s all it wanted to do was feedback. Uncontrollable The next week it went back for new 67 EBO. Still have that one. :)

3. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    A few years ago I picked up an immaculate, barely used '51RI P-bass. I was looking for a 2T burst but found a great deal on a blonde. It played and sounded great, but I wasn't totally in love with it. About a week later a friend contacted me and said a friend of his had seen the same ad, but I had beat him to it. His friend was willing to pay me a hundred more than I had just paid (still a pretty good deal). So it wasn't a matter of hating the bass, just that I wasn't really attached to it and I was willing to flip it for a profit.

4. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Did you return the Ray or trade it in? If the latter what kind of bath did you take on it?

5. greggster59

greggster59

Oct 31, 2006
    New Jersey
    Recently traded a modded P bass for a Fender Deluxe Active P Special. It arrived on a Friday, took it to band practice on Saturday and had it up for sale on Monday. It played nice and sounded decent at home but somehow I could not get a tone on it with my Eden rig that fit the band's vibe.

6. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Personally, it usually takes a while to decide to sell something.

On TB, I've seen people post basses for sale before they even received them. So I guess that would be a negative time period.:D

7. thumpastingray

thumpastingray

Oct 23, 2011
    Amsterdam
    I had a fender jazz bass 24 once. I saw it in a store and it was a nice looking bass, Beautiful quilted maple veneer and the Deluxe jazz bass shape. So I bought it and sold it 2 days later, it just felt like it was made from rubber. The tone was horrible eventhough it had a pair of seymour dunc. quarter pounders. The hardware from what I remember felt very cheap so did the cheap crappy preamp.

Long story made short, very nice looking bass but the tone and feel from the bass I had was terrible!

8. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Talkbass has definitely changed how I view buying and selling gear.

Previously I'd shop for a bass, find one that played and sounded good to m and was in my price range and then buy it. I'd hold on to basses like that for years. I think 3 years is the least amount of time I kept a bass that I bought new.

But when I started using the TB classifieds I often viewed it as a no risk proposition. I could try out pretty much any bass I wanted (around $3000 used was my normal cutoff point) and if it didn't like it I could flip it for what I paid for it and just be out the shipping cost. Sometimes I even made a bit of money on them.

Not surprisingly, I've flipped almost every bass I bought that way. All fun learning experiences and helped me narrow down my exact preferences, but still a very inefficient way to build and maintain my small stable of basses.

9. 3 Days. Lakland 55-02 with Barts. they just were way too bright for me, personally. I loved the feel of that bass, though. Traded up and around and down for some awesome stuff, though. Ended up way ahead.

10. fruitlabor

fruitlabor Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2007
    Had one as well. The neck would not get straight. Even got another neck. Nice looking. But just didn't cut it.

11. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    That's my story exactly. I just can't seem to part with them that easily once I've figured out they weren't what I was looking for.

I've got 4 basses right now that I know won't be played again, but I'm hesitant to put them up for sale.

Is there a name for this ailment?

12. Dave12

Dave12

Apr 28, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    Yes, Jim, it’s called SBS (Sticky Bass Syndrome), closely related to SGS (Sticky Gear Syndrome). It’s characterized by finally going to the closet, taking out a case, and saying, “I really need to get rid of this,” and then realizing the instrument is stuck to your hand. “Surely I will fall in love with this again.” “Well, I guess I don’t really need to clear the closet space.” Or, my favorite, “No one will take care of it like me!”

13. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    I'm terminal. Between SBS and SGS and my CDO...

CDO.jpg

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I flipped a bass before it even arrived. I bought it used on Ebay and the next day before it had even shipped I saw another that I preferred. I had a buyer for the first bass before either was in my hands.

15. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    About 20 hours...a Gibson SG Reissue bass. That forward roll (when on a strap), and one tone didn't cut it for me.

Second place would be a Modulus Flea bass that lasted about 48 hours. Thinnest sounding bass I've ever owned/played.

16. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy

Nov 29, 2009
    Formerly Staten Island
    Love it! :D

17. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

I loved the look of the Epi EB-3. Got one and found out that it was a neck-diving monster and the body offset the neck so far to the left that it hurt to play it. That bass went on the market in 30 days.

Now I have a '64 EB-0 and it's nice. I have sworn off 34" scale SG-bodies forever.

18. FenderBassist

FenderBassist

Oct 28, 2005
    Back in the early 90's I got my hands on a Kramer Metalneck with an EMG P pickup.

Played it for (I think) 2 weeks and traded it in on another bass. Too much neckdive, and had a very flat sound (body material most likely the culprit).

19. JBFLA

JBFLA Roscoe FANatic

Apr 8, 2003
    Jupiter FLA
    Had a DMZ 1000 - could not keep it in tune during the winter months.
    1982.jpg

Traded it and $200 for a '78 'Ray from a 'Mom&Pop' just outside Omaha:

78Ray.jpg

Sometimes it just works out right.

20. About two weeks, on a brand new Fender Jaguar. It came all the way from Japan, too -- bought it from Ishibashi so I could get one in sunburst, which wasn't available in the U.S. at the time. I'd played one at GC and loved it, but for some reason I didn't like owning one. So, off it went.