Should I Be Concerned?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by himluis1, Feb 29, 2024.

1. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    IMG_8321.jpeg IMG_8319.jpeg
    Just got this Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V on GC online (musiciansfried)
    everything pass the test , great action , good strings , came with an audere preamp looks and sounds good , the truss rod nut looks a bit beat up but if a put a 4mm key turns either way with no issues i think

Should i be concerned ?
    i got 45 days to return it

dbsfgyd1, butterfingers1 and DJ Bebop like this.
  2. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Might want to carefully assess the fit of the 4mm .vs. a 5/32" to decide which fits better. Just a knee-jerk reaction when an Allen head is beat-up looking...

0.15748" .vs. 0.15625" (or 4mm .vs. 3.96875mm)

3. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    IMG_8323.jpeg
    Good Call on the 5/32
    fits better
    still I was able to … If I wanted to
    I turned the allen key either way and it seems to move so , Are we good ?

4. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    It looks like the edge of the hex key hole is a bit banged up, but the edges of the keyed hole down inside appear intact. At least that's what it looks like to me. If the key does not wiggle excessively when it's in the slot, then I'd say you're good. :thumbsup:

5. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    Since the Squier is a dual action rod, you can't just replace the nut, like in the good ole days. You may be able to adjust it now, but it will continue to get worse. It doesn't look like there is anything special about the git. I'd return it.

6. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    Also living in Florida I don’t normally do many adjustments or any at all
    the bass came from Atlanta not too far or not too much weather difference either …

MynameisMe and Dust2Dust like this.
  7. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    Payed really around $270 for the bass to be shipped to my house
    thing i like is the $100 audere preamp I got with the bass , otherwise I would’ve have to pay extra for that , it also reminds me of a bass I sold … Im hoping this one works out

porterbass, groovepump and DJ Bebop like this.
  8. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    IMG_8327.jpeg IMG_8326.jpeg IMG_8328.jpeg

Vitrius Humor and DJ Bebop like this.
  9. Frampton

Frampton zero point zero Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2010
    NY
    If it looks, feels, and plays well, and the truss rod works, it's a keeper. When you buy a guitar online, you cross your fingers that you score a good one; it sounds like you did. The tech who did the setup was sloppy with the wrench. But the instrument is solid.

JRA, Reedt2000, Polfuste and 3 others like this.
  10. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    thanks

DJ Bebop likes this.
  11. I got a couple of those truss nuts in my junk drawer. They are like $8. If it is an Asian bass, probably not the hardest metal---and will only get worse. Ebay ftw, if it is removable.

DJ Bebop and himluis1 like this.
  12. Squier fanboy here :thumbsup: . . . ALL of my basses are Squier . . . (Affinity J, Affinity Jags, and a bunch of CVs) . . . and I live in Florida too, and like you said, we never have to mess with the truss rod.

When there is a rapid humidity change, it messes with the bass just enough to knock it out of tune but that's it.

Pyrrho Epoche and himluis1 like this.
  13. I was thinking that also about not messing with the truss at all. Set it and forget it. Even when changing strings.

Dust2Dust and himluis1 like this.
  14. TeeSee

TeeSee

Dec 7, 2018
    UK
    There's plenty of meat in the socket, but the edges are riled up. Someone obviously used the wrong sized key or didn't push the allen key down far enough when attempting to adjust the neck.
    As long as (if ever you do adjust the neck) you push the key right down home I doubt you'll have any issues.

Green_Ben, Dust2Dust and himluis1 like this.
  15. Make sure when and if you tighten it to help the neck move in the right direction by placing the body between your feet while turning the wrench while pulling the neck back manually with the other hand.

16. MotorCityMinion

MotorCityMinion

Jun 15, 2017
    If the 4mm fits snug but goes in to the bottom, use that as it is just a little bit bigger then the 5/32 and is less likely to wear it out. It's the sloppy fitting wrenches that mess up a socket head.

Dust2Dust and BismarckHerring like this.
  17. DrBnz

DrBnz

Apr 4, 2021
    PA.
    I have one with an ugly nut on it too. I wrap some foil tape around the allen wrench to get a real tight fit on it. Its worked for years.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    If functional, good for you. If seemingly beyond redemption, there are some clever work-arounds if the socket is in danger of failing.

*A snugly-fitting torx bit should provide adequate "bite" when engaging the socket sidewalls.

*If a total basket case, I've gone as far as etching a groove to accept a FH screwdriver.

Riis

JDA04OSU, Bassdirty and himluis1 like this.
  19. himluis1

himluis1

Sep 28, 2012
    Florida
    I def got a Great Luthier here in Orlando that told me , If it comes to repairs , He can fix anything , so Is def a keeper
    The guys at GC in Atlanta were great communicators , and for me getting a good used Squier V with a Preamp is a plus ! strings look new , action is low and the preamp battery was good too …

20. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    If you continue to bother to remove the A string in the way before trying to adjust, and fully seat the wrench, I doubt there will be an issue. I'd speculate that incorrect size and/or leaving the A string in place while angling in to the socket were the major causes of damage. If you don't do it that way, it should not get any worse. Play and enjoy, and don't fear adjusting the rod (using correct technique) if and when needed.

himluis1 and porterbass like this.