1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Should I build a 5 string?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by CptanPanic, Mar 22, 2009.

1. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    I am designing my first bass guitar, and was thinking that if I was going to go through the trouble of building one, might as well go all the way and make a 5 string, but worry about the costs. How much more expensive would the hardware be?
    Thanks,
    CP

2. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Victoria, BC
    Not enough to be not worth not doing it. Was that clear? :D A better way to put it would be: its not that much more expensive (depending on the type of parts used, maybe 50-100 more), go for it...

3. Build what you want. Will you use a 5 more? Will you be more enthused about putting in the work to finish it? I don't see a huge(if any)difference in the work vs a 4, & the parts won't cost all that much more. Do it, I say. DO IT! :)

4. CptanPanic

CptanPanic

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks so that is what I will do. Anyone have a bridge they want to get rid of? :)