1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your Road Worn Fender Basses...!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theo-cantor-, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    If they only made a bass in fiesta red that was non road worn, lord knows how quick I'd be buying it.

2. Jorge Viveiros

Jorge Viveiros

Feb 4, 2008
    Classic 50 P, fiesta red.

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    Yep.

4. Toshiro

Toshiro

Jul 21, 2004
    So don't buy one. Clearly there are plenty of people who like the relic look and by all accounts they play and sound great.

5. IMO people do not generally play in the same fashion. Check out some vintage basses on ebay and see how many are worn in all the same exact spots.

6. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Huh? People still are buying worn pre-washed/faded jeans, and they have been since about 1970.

You want for us all to just jump on evilbay, and buy an already worn-in vintage 57 P-bass? :D
    I kinda don't think so. If I had 6-9k to drop on a bass, I might do it, but I don't, and I don't think many of us do. :eek:

I wear out a pair of Jean in a year or less. I have had my '71 P-bass since 1998 (IIRC). It has been gigged A LOT. There is wear, but because it is finished in Poly, it doesn't wear nearly as much as a nitro finished bass. BTW, while that has been rehashed a hundred times, I think there is a rehash in more detail in the following thread.
    Check it out. :D http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=522697

Show us your relic!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

7. Oh well- if you own 2 or more Road-Worn's people will think you've had them both for a while and were played by the same person in the same style for 40 years!
    lol

8. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is my Fiesta Red RW Precision... It really is a great bass, especially for the money. The quality is top notch, and it sounds and feels just great. They are a bit cookie cutter in the way Fender "wears" them, but I still think they look really nice. I have ordered a 10 hole Tortoise Shell guard for it.

9. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Cool.

It is funny. Most people are so focused on how they look, but I wonder how they feel and sound. I am getting old.

BTW, I admit I would want tort, so....I'm a hypocrite, too!

10. Robson780

Robson780

Jan 12, 2009
    I really, really, really like these basses.

Unfortunately I will not allow myself to buy one just yet. They are selling for more than my MIA P-bass. I can't justify spending $1500 on a MIM Fender when I bought an American Fender for $1300.

11. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Aren't American fenders finished with nitro, and would lose their own finish with enough wear and tear?

I do like the RW series, the fiesta red is hot. What pickups are in them? THe same as the Am. series? Or are they standard MIM pickups?

12. Jim Carr

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI

Because?

Oh right--our Mexican workers are better than Mexico's...:bag:

13. wow. i honestly thought no one would buy these things!!
    idk why,but the whole idea of getting a bass that is already beat up just doesn't sound like it would float with alot of people.lmao :smug:

14. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    No. They are finished with a polyurethane lacquer. Only certain American Vintage & Closet Classic basses are finished in nitro, and those are much more expensive than the American Std. basses.

As far as what pickups. I couldn't tell. I have only played a RW guitar because my local GC didn't have any RW basses. But, the RW Tele was one of the best Teles I have ever played, in terms of feel and tone. Not sure why, whether its the pickups, the light finish, or what, but it was definitely better sounding than any MIM Fender guitar I've ever played. I didn't even care what it looked like, I would have bought it for the tone & feel alone. The neck is one of the best feelings necks I've ever played. If the basses are anywhere near as good as the guitars, sign me up for a RW 50's P-bass.

15. Sharp Objects

Sharp Objects

Mar 1, 2006
    Florida
    Ah alright, thanks. I have yet to try one, but I'm eager to try out the necks after all I'm hearing about them. While I'd rather have a bass I wear to bare wood myself, if the neck feels fine and dandy, I'd be interested.

16. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Wow,
    Beautiful bass....Congrats :hyper:

17. I still think it's a lame idea.

I never even implied that.

I have a 2003 Highway One Jazz and it's pretty banged up. Like I said, I LOVE old beat up and worn looking basses, I own one.

My point is that it got worn by being used, not part of the finishing process in the factory.

18. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    The one I played sounded and felt VERY VERY good.

Much better than I expected. I may have liked it a bit more than I care to admit.

The Highway one has a satin Nitro finish. American Standards are a fairly thin poly. The older American Series had a heavier poly finish.

As for pickups, not sure, but they sound excelent, and like a good Precision should.

19. [​IMG]

You can see here that after only 6 years this bass is already looking pretty 'relic'

20. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    So you buy the dark dark blue, cardboard stiff jeans, or the ones that are pre washed like most people do? (think closet classics ;) )

While personaly, not a big fan of the factory produced "relic" thing, I'd harldy consider a 2003 model bass "old".