1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your Road Worn Fender Basses...!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theo-cantor-, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Lets show they are not all the same......

1-DSC_1294.

DSC_1288_resize.

Theo

2. Wow, you have two already?

I don't have one but I'd like to say that I don't mind the look of worn basses, I do mind the price though.

3. I will! I just have to buy one first.

4. Here in Europe we do get these a little quicker these day$(€)........

I do mind the sound...........the looks are a bonus which are quiet cool (IMHO)
    I don't mind paying extra for a better sound..........

Theo

5. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Just picked this up today

P3260001. P3260002.

A little tweak of the truss rod, saddle and pickup heights and she's good to go.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Is that string spacing really as off as it looks? The spacing between the E and A strings in particular doesn't look quite right.

7. Rado!!

I see we have a lot in common...........

62 P, RW basses, Markbass.........
    I wonder why my 50s RW came 100% out of the cardboard box???
    No adjustments at all, so was the FR Jazz......

CU in Frankfurt 2nd of April????

Cheers mate,

Theo

8. Not saying that these are not nice basses I am sure they are but the wear is the same on them.

Sometimes to a different degree but always in the same general spots and looking pretty similar.

Even between the jazz and Precision in your photos the arm wear is identical and in the same spot.

Your Precision and the one below are nearly identical.

9. You have a point here...!!!
    Fender Custom Shop has the "same" different spots on their expensive models like my Pino Palladino bass.
    I agree they have the same general wear but nearly all reliced guitars have the same wear i.e. on the D-position etc.....
    Still the RW basses (not the guitars...) are very nice instruments.
    There's more than the looks..........this is what most people don't understand.
    Pick up one and play so you know what I (and others) mean,

Thanx anyway,

Theo

10. The similar wear bothers me a little but I would not let it stop me from getting one.

The price will probably stop me from getting one though :)

11. I don't know if I like this idea...

Reminds me of when people were buying pre-ripped/torn blue jeans.

I mean no offense, I love the look of worn basses, but it seems like an easy way out to me.

If the basses sound good, then great. But just like with a pair of blue jeans, why not just wait until they get beat up/torn?

IMO, what makes a beat up and worn bass special to me, is the fact that it was ACTUALLY toured with, thrown around, beaten up, whatever. Not purchased that way.

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I played one just like Theo's 2nd picture in a music store this weekend. The wear markings look identical to the one I played, it had the same missing finger pull, etc. It sounded great though (through a Mesa head and cab with EQ pretty much straight-up).

13. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    I'm really liking this basses!

14. no pic, but I have a BB5000 in white, I bought brand new. I finally wore through the paint on the back of the neck from playing- first bass I have ever actually caused the paint wear on. I'm kinda proud...

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I played a 50's Road Worn the other day that looked for all practical purposes the same as the two pictured here. Same shape arm wear. Same small wear spot over the middle pickguard screw. Same indents in the wood from where the ash tray would have been.
    Basicly the same.

Can't deny that it was a great player though. Sounded and played very well through the Markbass LMII and 1x15 cab.

This coming from someone with a genuine road worn Precision. ;)

Too bad they all look the same though, but hey, it's still a very nice playing and sounding bass.

16. +10
    every mark on every bass has a story to tell, why ruin the tradition?

17. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    I would personaly love the Road Worn neck screwed to a nice nitro finished, non reliced body.

18. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    Why wouldnt the wear patterns be around same spots? Generally, most people play in similar fashion. It would be suspect, if there are wear spots on unusual places. Who wants a nice big bare spot on the upper horn? None of them can be exactly the same anyway.

19. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    That's not where the wear would be if I were playing it. ;)

They are a little too similar, but reasonably well done IMO.

20. GC4

GC4

Apr 6, 2008
    Toronto, Ontario
    Same here!