1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Show us your Road Worn Fender Basses...!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Theo-cantor-, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Savit260, I should have been meticulously clear on that point. Old as in, old enough to have acquired that 'relic' look.

PS: I'm a nudist. Ya'll got nothin on me!

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Just for the record, there isn't that much wear on the back of the neck on my RW Precision. In fact, very little. When I first saw the price I thought it was a bit high, but I can honestly say now that I think it is totally worth the money. The feel, sound, and quality is right up there with these instruments. I have owned a LOT of Fenders, and this is definitely one of the better ones.

3. BTW why is this tread called SHOW us your RW Fender basses and not talk about things you don't have and don't like.

:eyebrow:

Theo

4. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Yes it is, I had just tweaked the truss rod and hadn't reset the spacing before hitting the camera. Good spot.

Played one of these side by side with the roadworn, not even in the same league and it shouldn't be given the extra cash required for the roadworn.

I bought mine because it felt and sounded like home to me. I also played it side by side with a Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub (sunburst, maple neck & board) which was more expensive, the Fender felt and sounded better to me and was way lighter, which is why I bought it. I like the Fender looks for sure, but that is very much secondary to it doing its job as an instrument.

5. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    What is it about the road worn, that's physically different to give better tone compared to other MIM's?

6. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Nitro cellulose finish, rolled neck edges. I don't know if anything else is different with regard to hardware.

7. I love saying this, that almost looks as good as a Nash!

8. bh2

bh2

Jun 16, 2008
    Oxford, UK
    That shot does it for me... although I quite fancy the sunburst one.

9. If you look at the guitar gallery at Sweetwater.com they currently have two RW P-basses and two Jazz basses and you can see the "wear" is virtually identical.

10. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Finally, somebody gets how this whole bass selection thing works.

:)

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    I agree.

We go through this almost every day.

This is "Show your RW basses"

I, for one, don't care what people think about them. The owners of these basses like them for a reason, so lets see them!!! :hyper::hyper:

12. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    Is nitrocellulose the same finish that was originally used on my 78 P-Bass?

If so, I don't know why the heck anybody would want that finish on their bass, much less pay a premium for it on a new one. The crazing, checking and chipping? I love my 78 P but man the finish s**ks.

13. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    No, that's not nitrocellulose.

That's a poly finish on your 78.

14. It's all in the wood. Body inline with the neck.
    Compression-deadspots-tonewood you name it....
    Jaco had a crappy bridge, so it's not the hardware.....??!!
    So it is the way the neck transfers the frequencies towards the body in a way that the two parts are in resonance.
    Also think about the small vintage fretwire just like the 62 RI and the CS 64 Jazz; I have a custom build 55 P with a maple neck/alder body with maple top and small fretwire: less contact=warm tone.
    One thing I don't understand is why the guitar-line is relatively heavy compared to the basses which are very, very, light.
    Lucky for us bassplayers Fender choose a pile of fantastic lightweight alder to make the RW basses.
    This must be the reason. I just can't think of another....
    Forget the pickups....:):)
    Always think woodwise....................

This makes sense doesn't it????

Cheers,

Theo
    DSC_1276_resize.

15. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Not all of the basses are very very light, the one I tried weighed in at just a hair under 9 lbs. on the shops shipping scale.

My 5.5 lb DIY P is very, very light.

16. You are so right!!

This bass must have been made from that other pile next to the very, very light pile for the productionrun of 8037055 upto 8271360.
    These numbers are exactly within my basses serial#.
    What a coincidence....!!!!

Cheerzzzss

Theo

17. Ezbass

Ezbass

Apr 3, 2008
    U.K.
    Cheers Mongo.

18. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Here is a picture of the headstock on my RW. I didn't really pay attention to it at the time I bought the bass, as I was more focussed on the way it felt/sounded. It has a lot more checking and wear than the other RW's I have played. BTW I love the sound of TI flats on this bass!

19. Theo! You have played many fender basses. And I´m not. But I played the Road Worn P-bass and liked the neck of it very much. Does the neck feel much different than the 62 RI P-bass? I have no chance to play a 62 RI before buying it but if the neck is the same as the road worn there will be no problems. I knew the two basses have the same specs, but I don´t trust specs. It is the feel I´m after.

20. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Have not seen a bass in person yet.

I did see two Strats.
    They identical, as of ware.
    Both the body, and the neck, and fingerboard.
    I is done by a machine.
    Was told they run a certain number of pieces.
    An then change ware patterns?

The felt, and played great.