1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

show your aluminum basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jim primate, Aug 4, 2007.

1. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

kramers, travis beans, vaccarros, etc.

let's see 'em.

l_370d0ba0210c97b5535fe73618e22424.

l_5310916111d1f1ee2a67736cb3dc8dce.

l_765673ff83052316501d99790c216dcb.

2. I was a-drooling over that bass on the Electrical Guitar company's Myspace page just last week. Very nice. I'm jonsing hard for one of the Bean copies that they make....someday.

3. I once played a bass called a Zimmerly. It had a hollow aluminum body, MM pickup and maple neck and fingerboard.

It was a nice bass. Only one of two or three in the world. Wish I had the money for it then, cause I'd have it right now.

4. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Not mine, but I've always thought the James Trussart instruments were pretty interesting. Here's one of his basses:
    [​IMG]

I have spent time with several aluminum Strats from the early 90s run that Fender did. I really liked them. I wish they had done some basses in that run, because I'd LOVE to track down an aluminum Jazz w/ maple neck. HERE is an article from a '97 issue of Vintage Guitar about the aluminum Fenders.

5. war_n_peace

war_n_peace

Aug 9, 2006
    USA
    29_Bassen_B29_Aluminium_05.

29_Bassen_B29_Aluminium_02.
    not mine either but thinking about getting one..

6. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    Here is a very old photo of me with my fretless Kramer. This was my main bass when I was in college and many years after.....Great sounding fretless, but boy was it neck heavy!

kramer.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Hey W&P who made the aluminum J bass?and do you have any more info on the company?

thanks
    Jauqo

8. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

here.

9. That aluminium jazz is awesome.
    Too bad its not solid aluminium. It says its just an aluminium shell around a wooden bass.
    Although that probably just the body.

10. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Here's my 81 Stagemaster Imperial. I love the tone and looks, and it's in mint condition.

11. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia
    This might be for the Luthier's section, but would CNC'ing a custom one of those present any particular difficulties? I mean, yes, that's a big block of aluminium that you're going to gouge 90% out of, but its tempting for me.

12. I have a piece of 2" thick, 2024 aluminum sitting in my shop to do just that. It's been over a year, I'll get around to it some time :confused: I'm leaning towards a small body, headless design, at least for the first one.

The Trussart instruments are steel by the way ;)

13. Wasp

Wasp

Jun 26, 2007
    Sydney, Australia

Sparked interest. We have plenty of 2024 around, just gotta find a big enough piece of scrap.

14. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Lubbock, TX
    Don't forget the Tokai Talbo.

Attached Files:

15. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Thanks for the link.

I'm familiar with the work of Kevin from Electrical guitar,he has taken the aluminum instrument concept and put his own fresh and interesting spin on it(he also makes killer pickups).I've played many of James(Trussart)basses and each time I'm reminded how talented he truly is,I've played a few of the Tokai Talbo aluminum basses as well and they sound nice,plays nice and balances extremely well,all great instruments.

I'm also familiar with the work of Mijn of bas-extravaganza.nl and I did contact him about the aluminum J bass.

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    How about this?

17. Jauqo, don't forget Chicago's own, Specimen. I stopped by the shop the day of the last GTG at Lakland and got to play one of the aluminum Jazz basses. So flippin' rad. I'm a big Tar fan from way back though. Weighed a ton and sounded amazing.

Linkage - http://www.specimenproducts.com/instru/originals.html

18. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    I'm very familiar with Specimen and yes they are very heavy.