1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SHOW YOUR DISTRESSED FINISHES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JIO, Nov 5, 2013.

1. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    The bikini lines on the CAR...

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    God's Favorite Bass likes this.
  2. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Albert has some nice toys. Here’s a 68 Jazz in a nicely aged CAR.

C06C1440-EE34-4A89-88BE-B0E78CA5E286.jpeg D844B763-30B1-47BF-B54C-65F254064285.jpeg 21600D3F-7E41-4680-9AB5-2501A9DF726D.jpeg D4F43710-38FE-4164-9301-DAB898592196.jpeg F9AB4CCB-39BF-4AA8-8E0C-A6A0774EF0AA.jpeg

3. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    Here are my three Precisions :)
    Vintage Reissue '62 from 1993, Vintage all original 1968 and a Black S9 (1979-1982).

Attached Files:

4. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    I'm glad someone said it. I know I may be in a distinct minority but really don't get the love of Nash's interpretation of distress - it does look "distressed", granted, but over obvious and not very authentic IMO (or the also very popular Spitfire tort guards - their green guards are very cool though). Still, valid alternatives.

Also on the Fenders the variable of silver vs gold metallic coat can make them look quite different (both great - but different).

5. Very nice :thumbsup: and thank you for indulging me! Those are beautiful.

Obrad Lacarac likes this.
  6. JIO

JIO Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    This opens a can of worms which can get pretty convoluted depending on ones viewpoint and flexibility of conceptual reasoning. My objective observation/comment was in context to the thread, which is more focused on actual player wear. Artificially effected relic-ing is acceptable here as an addendum, as cataloging actual distressed basses for reference and visual enjoyment was my intent/objective starting this thread. As a 'look', a player distressed bass/guitar facsimile can be 'authentic' looking - or not. Within the 'not' category, the resulting 'look' can be an artistic interpretation* (as the above Nash example) or an example of an attempt at authenticity fallen short. I am not against artistic interpretation but it puts it in the conceptual grey-zone of "faked mojo” mentality**. We here all love the inherent story a player distressed bass implies - every finish 'imperfection' was the result of hrs & hrs of front-line duty as a bass-player. We also understand that such an instrument has been and should continue to be played, not put behind glass to look at. That’s because we are players ourselves and know that any instrument that looks like that has to sound good or it wouldn’t have been played that much.

*I have had a few tort pg’s made by Mark at Spitfire. I consider his work related to a vintage celluloid imitation tort pg, but in its own category. I agree that some look closer to a vintage tort pg than others, but what I assess them on is each ones individual artistic rendering. Each one is hand painted to allude to a number of examples of vintage artificial tort. Not real tortoise-shell, but a visually textured machine processed facsimile of tortoise-shell. Point being it’s already one step removed from the “real” thing. That celluloid product has a certain visual depth to it that is richer than all the dot-pattern photo-reproductions of artificial tort (!) pg’s out there. Marks pg’s have even more visual depth because the hand painted colours are under a clear plastic layering. That is what makes them special - each one is unique and you can see his hand in the brush strokes & dabs. Like looking at an oil painting up close seeing the hand of the artist in every brush stroke, and then stepping back to see a clearly defined image.

**People with a sophisticated understanding of conceptual reality are generally open to entertain nuance and intricacies in the world. Conversely, those who espouse “fake mojo” have built macho walls to resist a deeper investigation of visual interpretation. It’s really as simple as that. As sophisticated adults, we can appreciate both the real player-worn finish and a well executed relic’d finish, and by discussing topics like this openly we gain knowledge and understanding.

Hachimitsu and Dynacord like this.
  7. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Agree with all (my issue with Spitfire is people claiming it's "just like the originals" - it's cool as its own inspired by thing and does look better than the common alternatives).
    Also can like other antique effects even when not attempting to simulate actual player wear i. e.

FB_IMG_1596385957440.jpg

sneha1965, Speterc, JIO and 1 other person like this.
  8. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    That's why we're here! :thumbsup: I'll be visiting this look with my next project bass.

upload_2020-8-2_10-0-20.jpeg
    ...and I want to do some tests with this look also. I've shied away from it so far because there's already a custom maker who's incorporated the candle-induced look. I want to develop my own version of it and have a few ideas.
    upload_2020-8-2_9-59-42.jpeg
    Yes, not "just like" - but a unique artisan piece. I love mine!
    upload_2020-8-2_10-10-29.jpeg

9. Dynacord

Dynacord

Jan 1, 2005
    Ah, yes, the 'alligator' finish!

On Wandre inspired builds, have you checked out Harvester Guitars in Australia? Really creative and a sense of aesthetics I think you'd appreciate.

Beej likes this.
  10. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Yes, that is the maker I was referring to. Pretty awesome stuff.

Dynacord likes this.
  11. Obrad Lacarac

Obrad Lacarac

Feb 22, 2011
    EU wanna be
    No problem, my pleasure :thumbsup:

12. sneha1965

sneha1965

Nov 7, 2007
    NoVA
    Nice collection.

Obrad Lacarac likes this.
  13. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
  14. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    And this one - gives me the willies just looking at it. Note the saddles positions... :cautious: This is an example of a player distressed bass that I would do a full restoration on. Nothing sexy about it.

upload_2020-8-3_17-43-4.jpeg

15. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    Nice P-trio ... and is that another variation on aged CAD? (orangie-copper) P-basses just don't pull-off the matching hs the way a J does - I just doesn't look right.

upload_2020-8-3_17-47-20.jpeg

16. That's my guess too. Thought it was interesting.

sneha1965 and JIO like this.
  17. Most matched peg head P's I've liked have all been Oly white so I think you are onto something.

JIO likes this.
  18. JIO

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    It's along the lines of a P with a blocked fb - it's done, but the J was designed as the "deluxe" Fender bass while the P was their "standard" model. The Fender P basses that look good painted are the Fender Japan P's where the neck is painted the same colour as the body. They don't have a pick-guard which make them more modern looking. I saw a red one once that looked sharp.

19. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK

JIO likes this.
  20. LennyJ

LennyJ Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2001
    Acworth, Georgia
    I do not know JIO - that orange color looks great to me. Sorry

sneha1965, Texican and JIO like this.