Show Your Pandemic Mods

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, May 18, 2021.

1. That's actually black limba but I did own a walnut Warmoth body at one time.

stuntbass77 and JimmyM like this.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    You wear it well but dang, sorry about your eye.

LP Custom and Son of Wobble like this.
  3. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    Thanks for tipping me off on this thread - I'll have to fire my secretary for not putting it in front of me! :laugh: Well yes, new projects for me have been a silver linings that offset the pandemic isolation which is finally lifting. I addressed a number of 'back-burner' projects and began a few new ones. I'll start with early 2020 up to the present.

'63 Burns of London Vista Sonic medium scale. Full restoration - thread here: Project Vista Sonic (rut row, JIO's at it again!)
    upload_2021-5-19_18-29-4.jpeg
    Next - ongoing modding of my '93 American Standard Jazz bass - thread here: Diary of a bass
    upload_2021-5-19_18-7-51.jpeg
    Added bridge pu mod - short-scale '60s Teisco Del Rey acquired with a ebony fretless neck mod - added a Guild RI Darkstar/Bi-Sonic and Manton vintage RI pu selector knob.
    upload_2021-5-19_18-13-39.jpeg
    '67 Watkins Rapier short-scale bass - full restoration. Thread here: Incoming resurrection project... '67 WEM/Watkins Rapier short scale
    upload_2021-5-19_18-22-26.jpeg
    Piezo short-scale fretless Coral Longhorn hollow-body project - thread here: Japanese Hollowbody Longhorn bass project and Harmony H-19 guitar resurrection
    upload_2021-5-19_18-24-45.jpeg upload_2021-5-19_18-39-48.jpeg
    '68 Silvertone (Dano) 1443 Hornet refinish project - thread here: Hornet Crackle Kraze Batman! Craquelure effect finish
    upload_2021-5-19_18-33-42.jpeg
    And finally, my Devil Magnum - thread here: Devil Magnum
    upload_2021-5-19_18-36-0.jpeg

4. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    And finally I am caught up on the thread for now. Devil Magnum, eh? Now that's a body/neck combo I wouldn't have thought would exist, and there it is. As always, all I can say when I see your stuff is "WOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!"

JIO and Reedt2000 like this.
  5. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    That fretless Longhorn is saaawwwweeet!

Bobbadfinger, JIO and JimmyM like this.
  6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Finally got to visit the entire thread and I am blown away by how industrious so many of you have been. Ranging from the beautiful to the quirky, too. That's quite fine. I like quirky.

NKBassman, JIO, redstrand and 3 others like this.
  7. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Are you giving out any awards? Most beautiful? Quirkiest? Best use of a 9/16" stainless hex cap bolt? :roflmao:

JIO, JimmyM and Reedt2000 like this.
  8. Dan_reeves

Dan_reeves

Jun 14, 2013
    So I bought mine used and it was in need of some TLC. I am weird in that I like high output pickups that I temper with flatwounds (usually, rounds right now) and for some reason it’s just a combo I have slid into. I play in church a lot where we use monitors and frankly I don’t have a ton of control of my sound (although our sound guy is awesome and I love that guy). I think that is, in a nutshell, what has informed my gear decisions over the years, right or wrong. So, I was on the lookout for the highest output pickups I would find that were also drop in and found these. They sound and respond well to my playing but I could totally see them not working for others.

JimmyM likes this.
  9. The bolt machining repair WAS exceptional. I'll give you that.:thumbsup:

Reedt2000, AudioTaper and JimmyM like this.
  10. There we go.

JIO and JimmyM like this.
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I am, and I'm giving the first two to me. Didn't need the bolt so much for these mods, so you guys can fight amongst yourselves for it.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  12. AudioTaper

AudioTaper Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2018
    Thanks, I'm not a machinist by any means. I just took a few long lunches at work when their mill wasnt being used.
    And keystock is expensive. That bolt was only $1 at the hardware store.

13. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    In October we played a bandmate’s son’s wedding. Bride and groom were Tech grads, I’m a tech grad, bandmate is a dawg, so...

473700AB-0337-400A-B052-94BCB3533119.jpeg
    3B139693-9A2D-4F7F-AEF3-042E1607A571.jpeg
    37C291C0-134C-488D-98BA-E463DDACB69D.png
    65DC7F3D-D459-413C-BDCC-82086C6CF449.png
    14EDFAB4-0F5E-432B-9871-BB7C96DDFB94.jpeg

14. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I think you could elaborate on this pic a little more.

15. Jerry Catanescu

Jerry Catanescu Commercial User

May 13, 2021
    Montreal
    jtex.ca
    There is hope, dyslexia for cure found!

JimmyM and Reedt2000 like this.
  16. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Looks to me like a sweet SX refin by a really happy dude who went to school in Georgia :smug:

JimmyM and nutdog like this.
  17. nutdog

nutdog when I'm a good dog they sometimes throw me a bone Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    in the dog house
    I’ve probably elaborated on that pic more than I should have already :laugh: Nerds are smart enough to buy nice cheerleaders.

The rambling wreck was acquired in 1961 by Dean Dull. My dad was at tech at that time and participated in the refurbishment. It’s been refurb’d several times since.

Dull was still Dean of Students when I was there in the 80s. He invited me to his office for a personal chat when the dorm RA found some contraband in my desk drawer.

Fortunately he didn’t seize it and I was able to burn the evidence.

JimmyM likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Since nobody asked, here's a few pics of mods that were done just before the pandemic...

Hammersmith Fender bridge 1.JPG

Put a Fender threaded saddle bent plate on my Hammersmith PJ to replace the Badass-style stock bridge. Reduced its weight from 7 3/4 lbs to 7 3/8 lbs. The bridge works as well as any of them. You just need to let the saddles splay and adjust your threads accordingly. Not for those with OCD but I don't have it.

Also did the same to my cheap parts PJ, which has been an ongoing project bass for years. A few years ago I had the body routed out under the pickguard to see what would happen to the sound if you lightened up a body that much.

Parts PJ chambering.JPG

Turns out it sounds exactly the same, except the pickguard's a bit louder acoustically when you bang your fingers into it. Did bring the weight to 8 lbs, though the balance was off. Then last year, I started thinking about how much weight I could lose off it if I replaced the tuners with Hipshot Ultralites and Xtender. Finally decided to do it about a month before the pandemic hit.

Parts PJ Hipshots.JPG

The finished version, clocking in at a svelte 7 1/4 lbs now:

Parts PJ Overhaul 1.jpg

Still #3 out of my 3 PJ's but at least I have one in a different color besides black. Would have painted it black while I was doing the other two finishes if my wife would let me. Turned out she was right. I look better with black basses but I still look good with this one as long as I choose the color of my shirt carefully.

Last edited: May 19, 2021
  19. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :) Thanks Jimmy! Your thread snuck under my radar! I agree with you that this strange period ended up resulting in a lot of inspired examples of our tenacious creative spirit! It's like, "oh yah? - well take some'a this!"

:) Thanks! I finally had a chance to preview it at our singer/keyboardist outdoor baby shower on Sunday and I think I'm going to add another pu as it is a bit 'wanting' outside of a controlled studio situation. I have a '60s MIJ (Teisco related) single-coil pu with the correct spacing so I just need to figure out how to merge it electronically with the piezo.
    upload_2021-5-19_22-52-58.jpeg

20. Black Out Jazz

Black Out Jazz Supporting Member

Mar 2, 2021
    location is overrated
    JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 19, 2021