1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Shuttle 6.2 12T combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KJung, Jan 4, 2012.

1. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Hey guys. Thought I'd start a thread on this. Given my current love of all things '12', I was sent the new 6.2 combo to evaluate and try out.

As some know, I was not a huge fan of the original Shuttle 6, nor of the Shuttle cabs. High quality, nice portable sound, but they sounded a bit 'small' to me, a bit too bright, and the Shuttle 6 on its own didn't quite have the balls of some of the other 400-600 watt heads in the category.

Well, the updates addressed just those issues. The head is voiced to go quite a bit lower, due to a change in the low end voicing, and also the new power section/limiting that is of the same design as the amazing Streamliner and Shuttle Max 9.2. So now, the 6.2 really is a lower powered version of the new Shuttle 9.2. The voicing filters have been somewhat revoiced to be a bit more subtle and usable, and the cabs have new beefier drivers and a different tuning. They match p well to other 'full size' neo 12's in volume and low end.

Very impressive. Here are a few pics. Clips to follow:

The entire stack... cabs are under 30 pounds, with nice metal tilt back stands built in.

Shuttle62_2.

Rear view... very high quality tolex, curved metal grills, nice rear porting (no chuffing, even when cranking)

shuttle62_3.

Stand alone picture with the tilting mechanism engaged.

Shuttle62_4.

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

3. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    In case someone else is wondering what 3DPM is, from the Streamliner manual....

And thanks for the review!!

4. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

5. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Genz Benz continues to impress.

6. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    +1.

7. NWB

NWB

Apr 30, 2008
    Kirkland, WA
    Oh no.

A perfected Shuttle 6 is not what my bank account needs right now.;)

That's not at all what I was expecting from the Genz guys.

Please note some serious flaws Ken...

8. RColie

RColie Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2007
    St. Louis, MO
    Ken,
    As usual, you've been a great help to the bass playing community (and a detriment to my bank account!). ;)

These new 112T cabinets obviously won't compete in the "super 12" category of the HD112, Thunderchild, etc., but are they in the same ballpark (meaning max volume and perceived low end) as the more "standard" production 112, such as the AE112 or the NeoX112T?

Thanks,

Bob

9. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

That is the way I hear them. Closer to the GS112, AE112, 112UL in performance than the original Shuttle 12T. Pretty impressive stand alone performance. The kickback stand is great also.

The beefy top handle on the extension cab is not 'micro head' friendly, but other than that, these cabs seem like VERY good options for most players. Very lightweight, very well made, and enough real low end extension to work for most.

10. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond!

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Hey Ken what do you think about pairing the Genz amps with TC electronic cabs?

11. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

Never had the pleasure to try that. I would think the new 6.2 would be very nice match, given my positive experience with the RS210 and my LMII and F1/F500. The Shuttle 6.2 has some of the low end meat of those heads, and would be much more 'natural and open' sounding than the TC heads.

12. bassclef04

bassclef04 Bass and Beyond!

Mar 24, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Great! Exactly what i was thinking. I'm thinking either going with the new 6.2 or 9.2 amp to pair up with a TC RS212.

13. *subscribed for the G.A.S.........

14. dog1

dog1

Dec 30, 2008
    Indiana
    Oh no! This is going to cause problems between me and my financial advisor. (my wife is going to kill me if I buy another amp)

15. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I've got all the heads I need, but those cabs are quite intriguing.

16. Would love to try the 6.2 and 9.2 with my TC cabinets (which are going nowhere). Hopefully soon I might get to.

Question for me now is whether I need a combo because I've got plenty of cabs already. The next question is whether it's worth me getting a 6.0 12T in the sale and saving £400 or something or a 9.0 and making a saving, or going for it with a new model. I'm one of those that likes latest and greatest, which can be expensive.

17. Oh lord that sounds good! Ken, how do you think a Shuttle 3.0 would push 1 (or 2) of those new 12Ts?

18. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Based on my experience with the Shuttle 6.0, the 3.0 might sound a little anemic pushing a 12T because of the LF roll-off baked into the 3.0 and 6.0.

19. Hmm.. I've found the LF Boost has come in handy through a lot of the cabs I've played, maybe that would help.

20. lowfreq33

lowfreq33

Jan 27, 2010
    Nashville
    Endorsing Artist: Genz Benz Amplification
    It's not really a boost. As Jeff explained it to me the LF extension switch lowers the corner frequency of the high pass filter.