1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Sid Vicious bass guitar

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Brx, Jun 9, 2007.

1. Brx

Brx

Jun 9, 2007
    I don't know on which bass guitar plays Sid Vicious, can you tell me?

2. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    A white fender P-bass.

3. bassist15

bassist15

Mar 6, 2006
    Indiana
    Acually Sid Vicious really didnt ''play " the bass. Most of the time , from what ive heard" , they turned his amp WAY down and he just mimed it. ON their albums their guitarist played the bass lines.

4. LooseFit

LooseFit

Jan 19, 2007
    NYC
    Glen Matlock played the bass on all of the Sex Pistols recorded output. He was their original bassplayer and was rehired to record Never Mind The Bollocks due to Sid's inability to play.

5. enderwaves

enderwaves

Mar 6, 2007
    milton, wv
    actually steve jones played on never mind the bullocks, glen matlock did write/co-write most of those songs though. and yeah, sid always played a white p-bass with (i think) a black pickguard. glen matlock was a fan of rick's. most of the pistol's equipment was said to be secondhand *ahem* from david bowie. i think sid like the white bass because blood showed up particularly well on it in photographs.

6. Was that the Sex Pistols' tribute album created by your local farmers association???

7. Foamy

Foamy

Jun 26, 2006
    Sac Area
    Isn't that about what the Squier VM P is supposed to model/represent/honor?

8. LOL. Yep, I read that too.

9. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez
    Yes it is true, sid could not play the bass.....he just was pissed off alot and thought he looked good holding the bass while snarling......then he shot his girlfriend and O.D.'d on heroin.

10. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    the ultimate poser "musician". I don't know why people thought he was so cool. :rollno:

11. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland

Haha! Well spotted :p

12. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I read that Glen Matlock was fired for having Beatle records in his record collection.

13. KAOSBass

KAOSBass

Mar 10, 2005
    Dallas Texas
    actually stabbed Nancy....

14. gjooro

gjooro

Mar 27, 2006
    Croatia
    here you go:

15. He could play a little,he was still learning thou when he met nancy then he got into heroin which is a pity for a young impressionable guy.

He looked very cool thou,he knew the songs at the start.

16. He was punk. So naturally, he didn't choose the Fender P. More like, he needed a bass. Anyone will do.

17. datsgora

datsgora Guest

May 23, 2007
    N. Ca. Martinez

the scum stabbed her death. Thank-you. i had forgotten that bit. peace, John

18. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    like enchanter_tim said above, squier just released bass styled after sid's white p-bass:

http://squierguitars.com/products/search.php?partno=0326800505

the bass is probably more important for exisiting in photographs than any recorded music. that's not to diminish the importance of the sex pistol's american tour...

19. cowsgomoo

cowsgomoo gone to Longstanton Spice Museum

Feb 8, 2003
    UK
    it's said that Sid 'played' a white P-bass because his hero Dee Dee Ramone did... as did Paul Simonon

Dee Dee

[​IMG]

Sid

sid-vicious-sm.jpg

Paul

09scenesimonon08.jpg

20. leroy boy

leroy boy Inactive

Nov 26, 2006
    Music City, USA
    some guy in Arkansas had a bass on ebay about 3-4 weeks ago that he claimed was rescued from the old Chelsea Hotel and had been syd's original bass. He had nothing to back it up and just sort of threw it in the auction as a conversation point.

Recalling the bloody nose made famous by that photo (Randy's Rodeo in Dallas?) made me wonder if CSI could prove it was his by dna under the pukeguard, I mean pickguard.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 11, 2021