1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Signal Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by SnowCal, Mar 9, 2013.

1. So, I've had one or possibly two problems since my last gig. During a song my amp cut out on me. I think this was a problem with my pedalboard setup. A power cord may have come out. I DCed from the pedals and went direct into the amp and things went fine the rest of the night.

Since then I've had more issues. My pedalboard works but the combo of it and my amp seems to make it die. Even without the board though, it seems lacking in power and tone and is cutting in and out on me. If the entire band stops I can barely hear it at times. This can't happen live. I'm thinking this sounds like a dirty pot problem and that some tuner cleaner could make life good again. Anything else that could cause this? I'm thinking that my problems at our gig and now are different, but I'm not sure they are. Could the pedals be causing me grief?

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Absolutely anything in the chain could be causing you grief. You have to patiently use the process of elimination. Removing the pedalboard was one step; now try each pedal one at a time; each cable and patch cord one at a time; then try two at a time (all possible combinations).

If you suspect a pot, clean it for pete's sake.

3. The pedal board isn't at fault for my current problem. I think it may have been at fault for the problem immediately prior but I included those details in case it wasn't. It seems relevant but a red herring. The pedalboard works with no issues on my backup amp. My regular amp is cutting in and out, not providing full power, and sounding scratchy with nothing but the bass into it.

I just want to know if that description is a pot problem or if it could be something else. This is an intermittent problem. I don't want to risk cleaning the pots, having no issues when I test it, think I fixed it, and then have it die on me mid-gig because this on and off problem decides to rear its ugly head again. I have a backup amp, but I'd much rather use my GK. I just don't know if it's safe to clean the pots and think it's fixed.

4. audioglenn

audioglenn

Jul 14, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    I've run into this problem on various pieces of equipment and many times the solution is to clean the pots. You won't do any harm cleaning the pots. If you're bass has active electronics, have you replaced the battery? This could cause the problem, too. If you don't remember the last time you replaced the battery, then just go ahead and replace it. Oh...one more thing...make sure you clean the pots on your bass, too.