1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Silent Practice

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by SplinteredSkull, Nov 2, 2013.

  1. My friend and I are going to be starting up a band again soon, and we've already started writing some stuff. We had been constricted on time before due to previous commitments but now we have plenty of time for practicing and writing - generally in the evening/at night when people want to sleep and noise ordinances are in place. I'm guessing what we need is just something we can run our amps into and then headphones out of. Would a small mixer work? Something with at least 4 inputs would be nice so when we pick up our 2nd guitarist and/or vocalist they can join in as well (drums are going to be loud no matter what, guess we'll have to plan around certain times for that). Also having another output for recording the practice would be great too. Any suggestions as to some stuff that would be good? :bassist:
  2. Yeah, the right mixer would work - also checkout the JamHub. http://jamhub.com/
  3. kreider204


    Nov 29, 2008
    Just be careful with headphone volumes (says the guy whose ears ring 24/7 ... ).
  4. I actually just looked at the Jam Hub; but $300 is a bit much to me. Something cheaper would be preferable. Cool tech and idea, but less knobs and more $ in the wallet is better. What kind of mixer should I be looking for and how would I set that up?
  5. Don't worry: I'd be starting with volume down and slowly turn up
  6. seanm

    seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

    Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    You will need a mixer and some sort of headphone splitter so that you can plug in more than one pair of headphones.
  7. ProgRocker


    Mar 25, 2011
    That can still lead to hearing loss and tinnitus. The human bodies ability to adapt is amazing, hearing is no different. What was once "uncomfortably loud" and makes your ears ring, quickly becomes common and no longer makes your ears ring.

    When that happens, that's hearing loss, and you can't get back what you lose. The Audiologist who fitted me for my custom ear plugs told me hearing aids don't help the kind of damage high decibel exposure creates. Not trying to preach, just seen it happen to too many people.

    Jam Hub seems like it's the best option for what you want to do. If everyone in the band chips in the price should be doable. Consider that you will likely spend more trying to do what the hub does than if you just bought one. Knobs mean options. So, while you may not want or need all those options right now, you likely will someday.

    Either way, my opinion has always been that it's better to have something and not need it, than to need it and not have it.

    Just my .02 .
  8. jonnybass1


    Dec 9, 2011
    Brampton, On
    For drums the drummer could just get one of those electronic drum sets by Roland or Yamaha and plug that into the mixer as well.

    Just a thought because my old drummer used one for practice at home and no one outside his room could hear it. And his Yamaha one felt and sounded pretty close to the real thing.
  9. Depending on the mixer and etc, it will end up costing more going the mixer route over the Jamhub, plus the Jamhub will take up less space - but for example, the Allen & Heath MixWizard WZ3 with EIM would be perfect. Plus you could use it at live gigs too. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-...wz3-1442-mixer/634106007000001?condition=used
  10. kreider204


    Nov 29, 2008
    Yep, that's what I used to say ...
  11. Thank you all for the concerns on my hearing ;) Trust me that I know what is an acceptable volume. I use earplugs during some live performances, and I got a taste of hearing problems once before after a concert.

    But as for the mixer route; could I not just get something like a 4-6 channel mixer and use something like a headphone splitter? Or else plug up to the main and monitor outs?
  12. Stumbo

    Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

    Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Here's a heaphone mixer/splitter that might work along with a mixer: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=245-060

    Electronic drums with their own sub-mixer are also a good way to go.

    Let us know what you end up with and how it's going. :)
  13. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/art-headamp6-headphone-amplifier

    This one is a little cheaper and has some good features. Could use it along with a mixer like this I guess:


    But that's really only $60 cheaper than the JamHub. However, I would have a separate mixer and headphone amp/mixer for other purposes. Unless there was a way to plug directly into the headphone splitter.. but then the signal levels would all be uneven and that would probably be more trouble trying to adjust than it's worth. I think I have a 3 channel DJ mixer laying around though. Works and sounds great with turntables, my only gripe out using it for this is that it has RCA inputs only. They make cables for that though.

    Overall, it would probably be best to simply get a JamHub. Unless I come across the mixer or headphone splitter for fairly cheap, it would be the most convenient option. But that's if it ends up being necessity and everyone feels we need it.

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.