1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Single string buzzing a little.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by DRay521, Dec 7, 2011.

1. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Hey fellow TB'ers.

Just a quick question. I do my own setups now, and wouldn't say I'm an expert but I can set the neck relief, set the intonation, and adjust action at the "intermediate" level, so to speak. But on my MTD 435, I've got the relief set (though the eye test is a little more difficult for me with a hand-planed neck) and the action where I like it, but I'm still getting some light buzz around the 4th-7th frets on the G-string. I could raise the action a hair but don't want to get it much higher as I really like where it is.

Just wondering what some of the more experienced setup guys think before I start tweaking, as I have a tendency to go a bit overboard at times.

Thanks guys.

DRay

2. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    Is the buzz audible through an amp? Oftentimes light buzzing becomes moot when you plug in and come back to real world playing conditions. Otherwise it's just balancing between relief and string height. At least you don't have to worry about the frets or fingerboard being level...one of the many benefits of owning an MTD.

3. DRay521

DRay521

Aug 2, 2007
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    It's only audible when really digging in fingerstyle over the neck pickup. Other than that it's basically inaudible, but I just like things to be right.

And yeah, Mike's work is impeccable, but mine's a '96 (serial no. 81!) and about due a brief return to the shop for some scheduled maintenance. In fact, that's one thing I had wondered about, is if the wear on the zero fret could be causing some of the buzz.