Sire M7 Tuning Pegs

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kvn_, Aug 14, 2018.

1. kvn_

kvn_

Aug 14, 2018
    I bought a Sire M7 (5-str) in 2016 and since then have had two different tuning pegs pop. One popped a year ago and one popped last week. The first one was within my warranty, and this most recent one Sire was more than helpful to ship out a replacement anyway.

Sire said that they rarely encounter customers having any issue with their tuning pegs, so I seem to be the fluke, but I am easy with my equipment, normal use and wear, and I take care of it. I change my strings probably every couple of months. Now that this has happened to me twice in 1 year, I'm looking to replace them all with a better quality set so hopefully I don't pop another peg during a sound check prior to a gig :(

My question is, does anyone have an M7 with aftermarket tuning pegs, if so what are you using? Or are all tuning pegs created equal and I can just pick out any good set for a 5-string bass and replace them?

Thanks for your feedback and suggestions.

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    There are numerous tuners that will fit that bass. The Gotoh GB 350, Hipshot Ultralite (USA), Schaller M4 90, to name a few. All will fit and all three mentioned are quality tuners.

Slater and kvn_ like this.
  3. kvn_

kvn_

Aug 14, 2018
    Thanks Kathy.

sissy kathy likes this.
  4. Ah ! I had a tuning peg that broke a few months after buying my vintage V7 right during first string set change. I think it happens more than they're willing to admit OR people don't report it and just change the tuners (like I actually did before selling the bass but not just because of the tuners).