Sly and the Family Compression

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TrevorOfDoom, Jul 5, 2018.

1. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    or Compression and the Family Stone
    or Sly and the Compression Stone...
    Seriously, after venturing into "studio-grade" "hi-fi" "transparent" "multiband" comps, I'm find out a couple things.
    1. My amp has a killer built in compressor. (Quilter BB800)
    2. My "studio-grade" "transparent" compressor never really gets used, because I don't need it. Or I rarely need it. Mostly only while tapping. (ask me how often I get to tap on a gig, as a working bassist)
    3. I miss my Demeter Compulator.
    But I can't go back, as I've not got the funds, or real estate on the board, and my wife will kill me if I buy a pedal I've already owned. ("You wasted money on that again?! I thought you didn't like that, that's why you sold it! I told you you shouldn't have sold it!!")

So if you were gonna recommend a 1590a sized compressor for that Sly and the Family Stone compression (think "If You Want Me To Stay"), what would it be?

Ductapeman and Phe like this.
  2. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    If you liked the demeter go back. Its a good comp and used it for years. Know some players who still do.

wmmj and mobdirt like this.
  3. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    I'm trying to avoid that, though.
    Too expensive, don't have the pedal board real estate, and I don't have an adapter for Demeter's weird power supply.

4. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    If price and size is an issue maybe JOYO. They are cheap and I have a delay one. Don't use it but its still a good pedal. I don't use delay. THE COMP IS CALLED THE PIPEBOMP.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018
  5. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    If the amp works, why need another?
    If you don't use the clean comp. sell it and get the Demeter back.
    Great tune; sounds like a slow attack and release time; maybe a Urei LA unit
    Judging by the output volume and dynamics, I think we are hearing buss compression on the shole mix as well.
    Of course, the player had the most to do with the dynamics and tone

6. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    The amp has a great open, transparent compression. very tube-like.
    I'd like something on top of that to get the Sly compression tone.

7. Jim C

Jim C I believe in the trilogy; Fender, Stingray, + G&L Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    OK
    I hear transparent, and tube-like, a bit different in tonality
    There is a really good thread going on about compressors right now.

8. kesslari

kesslari Groovin' with the Fusion Cats Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2007
    Santa Cruz Mtns, California
    Lark in the Morning Instructional Videos; Audix Microphones
    When you're going for a specific sound, and you have a small budget, your options are generally limited.
    There's a finite number of 1590a compressors out there. The TC Spectracomp is really flexible (and pretty cheap) if you're willing to use the Toneprint stuff.

9. TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Funny enough, I sold the Demeter to get a Spectracomp.
    It's a good little pedal, but I cannot get it to react like an optical comp, no matter how I jigger the Toneprint.
    Might still keep it for a more modern comp sound, though.

10. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    COMP.jpg

11. Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    No matter what pedal you get you are not going to get a La2a or a 1176 compression. It just isn't happening. And if size and money is a issue need I say more. Compressors used in a studio would be the Sly and the Compression Stone. Other than that you are not playing in a sound based constructed studio room, but a noisy room filled with people type pedal compressor.

ObsessiveArcher likes this.
  12. mpdd

mpdd neoconceptualist

Mar 24, 2010
    LA
    I really like my diamond compressor jr in front of my Mesa d180
    Slight hint of drive plus more warmth and evenness

13. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk 音楽は人生だ

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I actually play that song, I Want To Take You Higher, and Thank You Falletinme Be Mice Elf Agin in different bands. :)

I use a Joe Meek FloorQ as my main compressor. I'm not saying that I sound like Larry Graham, or Sly (he played the bass on that track), but I do sound pretty darn good, of I do say so mice elf. ;)

14. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    If you're handy with a soldering iron, the power socket can be changed to a Boss-type. I did one the other day for a friend. He picked it up cheap second-hand.
    upload_2018-7-6_16-11-51.png

15. RattleSnack

RattleSnack

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    If optical compression is what you like, Carl Martin Classic Opto comp could work for you. For me, it is always on.
    Here is bongos review, though I have to dissagree with "dull highs", maybe I use more subtle settings.

16. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    Sounds like YouTube compression to me.

Try this:
    J00262000000000-00-500x500.jpg

Non the less great song, not really usually anywhere close to my style and first time I hear it, but somehow it just really speaks to me.
    Heard it 5 times already by now and about to play it for the 6th time in a row.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018
    Phe likes this.
  17. mobdirt

mobdirt Guest

Jun 14, 2017
    hasnt ampeg just released a small-ish optical compressor?

18. howlin

howlin

Nov 15, 2008
    I'm Not There
    I’ve been using a Boss LM2-B for years and it only cost me 25 bucks. Read Bongo’s review of it (ovnilab.com). I thought his comment regarding the LMB being more of a compressor and CS-3 being more of a limiter interesting. All I can say is, it works for what I need it for.

FWIW - If price were no object I’d probably get a Cali Comp. Every demo makes them sound perfect to my ears.

19. bkbirge

bkbirge

Jun 25, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Steak n Shake
    Pricey and wrong size but can get that exact tone... retrospec squeeze box
    retrospec_squeezebox_001.jpg

Omega Monkey likes this.
  20. it's futile. sly was recording through a Flickinger console which was all discrete and had input and output transformers and discrete eq then likely through an UREI LA-2A or similar (altec 438 maybe) which is tubes and input/output transformers.

you're trying to recreated the sound of multiple tubes and transformers through a little pedal that has neither for 100 bucks? it's not possible.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2021