1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

SM57 w/TAB-FUNKENWERK

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by nickwills, Mar 6, 2010.

1. nickwills

nickwills

Dec 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Anybody tried this mic out on bass?

They say it makes it sound close to an sm7b, which I recorded with recently and liked.

2. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I haven't used it, but I will note that they tout the xformer upgrade as improving the high end response, and they say nothing about the low end. Really the only thing "wrong" with a bone-stock SM57 for bass is that it doesn't have a very deep low end response. If you're comfortable with the lows from a stock 57, then it sounds like (just from reading the Mercenary page) you wouldn't need the upgrade unless you wanted more highs.

3. the_ruckus

the_ruckus

Dec 28, 2008
    Detroit
    I have done a lot of research about this mod. Honestly, the expanded mid and high range describes the characteristics of a sennheiser e835 (which I prefer over a 57 for guitar) It has all the tonal qualities of the 57 with much more cut.

I'll use a pair of 57's on a rhythm guitar, and a pair of sennheisers on the lead. Excellent differentiation.

4. nickwills

nickwills

Dec 27, 2004
    Fort Worth, TX
    Interesting.

I own a couple of e835 and like em, keep one of em in my gig bag in case I have to sing at a gig (Don't like sharing mics).

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2020