Small Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by charles21o7, Sep 6, 2004.

1. Ive been playing for a while, always fronting bands and playing bass together. And Ive always had large basses, Mainly P basses and Thunderbirds, which are pretty heavy too. Over the past year, its been harder to deal with the weight, im only 26 but its really starting to kill me, im not a real big guy, and i have a family history of back problems or something. So im looking to buy a smaller bass that will be less of a burden on my back and shoulders. So what do you guys suggest?? I like the Allen Woody sig and Jack Casady sigs, which are pretty small and light, but ive never played either. So could you guys tell me about these basses or other small basses, like 30 to 32 inchers. Thanks a million.
  2. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    I've play'd 2 32" scale Brownes and 1 32" Huff, all of which are rediculously light, (6-8 lbs, if I rember correctly.) They also had the hugest sound I'd ever heard coming oot of a bass.
    Oh, man, light basses are glorious. I have a lot of trouble playing my Jazz or my BTB now. It feels like they are crushing my lungs.

I VERY strongly suggest trying to find a nice, light bass. That's why the Browne that I built with Mike is primarialy spruce. It's a pretty massive 6 string, 36" scale, and it weights, like 8 or 9 lbs. after many many coats of heavy-as-heck polymer clear coat. JOY! I can't wait to get it...
  3. Stevious G, you have to start a thread for your Browne! I would love to hear more about it!
  4. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Well, I've been planning on it as soon as I get the bass. The long and short of it is, however, that Mike is a good friend of mine, who knows that I have been very, very interested in learning to build for a long time. So, earlier this year, I spent a month at his place, learning the tricks of the trade. We build a bass for me from the ground up. It's a 36" fretless set neck Gnome 6er with Norstrand humbuckers, and the Aggie 2 preamp. The body is spruce and wenge, and the neck is maple with an ebony fretboard and wenge "ghost" fretlines. Ebony and maple one-piece bridge and pickup covers, wenge heal block, spruce and wenge headstock caps on a mahogany headstock, (spruce wasn't strong enough, and maple was too heavy.) Hipshot ultralight tuners and O-ring knobs. Wenge output jack foozeball... hmm.. String-thru-tail construction... That'll give you a good idea, anyways. I had to head home before the finish was complete, so now I'm just waiting for that. I'll post a full writeup, however, as soon as it gets here, with lots of pictures!

Here's one to show, though, how it stands oot in a crowd...
  5. bassJ725

Jul 7, 2004
    What I do is I play the Sousophone in the marching band. It helps me get in shape and when i put on my bass it feels as light as a feather. But i guess its too late for you sense you are already having back problems so I know that Ibanez has some pretty light basses but I dont have any experiance with them.
  6. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    The Casady, while light enough, is huge... Excellent bass in every respect, just not what I'd consider small.

The Urge is a nice bass, as SMASH says. Very comfortable and easy to get around. I really like my Fender Musicmaster... Substantial neck, great tone and vibe. The Danelectro Longhorn is definitely not a toy either. Very playable with some great sounds inside...

7. Stevious G

Stevious G

May 5, 2003
    Hmm. Jus'thinkin'you may wanna modify what you are looking for, from "small" to "light." The two don't neccicarrialy go hand in hand. I mean, from the front, a Les Paul looks pretty little. But then you pick it up...
  8. Sounds great, man! I'll be waiting for the thread when you receive it.

Beautiful bass!
  9. DemoEtc

Aug 18, 2004
    Charles, check out a Beatle Bass. Really lightweight, and Paul sang a lot so something might be said for it.

The Turser version is pretty sweet; I could recommend it.

10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would suggest a Cirrus, as I have played them. Couldn't give a recommendation on the others.

Things I liked about the Cirrus(i) I have played: Tone, feel, looks, electronics, and balance.

Things I disliked: Lack of weight :D, The four is too light for my liking (I prefer about 10lbs), but the six string I played was perfect in that aspect.
  11. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I understand getting a lighter bass, but I want to know if you have an excercise program? If you don't work out, you might surprised what a routine of sit ups, push ups, weight lifting ,and stretching could do for your back, stamina, and overall health. Even if you do get a lighter bass, you should still strengthen your body. Since you say, you have a history of back problems, you need to take care of your body anyway in order to just handle everyday life. By the way, a dirt cheap and really great sounding featherweight bass that I like is the Yamaha RBX 270. I see them at Guitarcenter for $179 or so, but it has a wicked slap tone and with the P pickup soloed, it has a very punchy finger tone. Although I have two nice basses already, I'm serioously tempted to get one since it is so cheap. :bassist:
  12. kboyd

Jul 6, 2002
    You could stay with a 34 scale and make sure your bridge is aluminum and tuners are Hipshot ultralight, maybe a single pickup....those factors right there will save a good bit of weight.
  13. Musicmasters and Mustangs are fun basses to play, and pretty light.

14. Well sorta, every morning, when i get up , before work , I run a few laps at the local park. Thats really it.
  15. bluemonk

Dec 17, 2002
    I'm a small female and grew up playing p basses. As a result, my neck and upper back are shot. I've beenexperiementing with light basses and have this to report:
    Since you're willing to go hollowbody, try the Carvin AC40. It is very light and small and you can choose whatever wood you want to be sure it is light (mine is koa).
    I have an Aria bass that is just a stick with the outlines of the bass in plastic. I think Yamaha might make one, too (well, it is like the Yamaha silent guitars that you can look up). It only weighs about 5 pounds or less.
    For a solidbody, I have a Warwick Rockbass that is made of basswood. Even though some people whine about basswood, it is musch lighter than other woods, and with TIs, the Rockbass really kicks. I also have a Corvette standard Warwick that I wouldn't think to play standing up!
    I have a friend who has a Fender Mustang that is short scale, sweet and a bit lighter, but not all that much.
    Good luck!
  16. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    As Stevie G mentioned above, both Darrin Huff and Mike Browne make exceptioanlly balanced, lightweight instruments. Something else to think about might be a Roscoe LG with a spanish cedar body. As long as the top isn't tooooo dense, that would make for a very lightweitht bass as well.
  17. Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma
    i can't wait till i place my order for a carl thompson, as soon as i do, i'm gonna work myself to death and order a Browne like stevie's. god i love those basses

:bag: I see you
  18. ive come to a conclusion on what bass to buy. I finally got a chance to play an Allen Woody sig, and instantly fell in love. Wonderful sound and playability . Light and small too. So Im gonna cough up 500$ and order one. Who should i order it through?? I was thinking the friend but i dunno.
  19. RunngDog

RunngDog Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Any interest in a fretless? Rob Allen's "Mouse" with a 30" scale weights 5.5 lbs. and is a real joy to play . . .