Small(er) form envelope filter?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Pacodelivery, Mar 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hey all,

Been really trying to pack my board and all these large envelope filter pedals are giving me a headache.

I already sold my HAZ mutron iii which I liked but was waaaaaay too big, and bought an EHX enigma which I'm digging, but I wish it was half its size, especially considering I don't use the distortion at all.

So what you got for recommendations for a boss sized or smaller filter?

Needs other than size: mid ranged voicing, plays nice with fuzz, usable down drive.

Ones that have tried and failed:

EBS Bassiq: loved the voicing of the normal setting but the action was weird to me, the down didn't work all that great, and it disappeared in the mix

Aguilar filter twin: voiced waaaay to high

3leaf proton v1.5: couldn't get it to open, heard this was a problem with their earlier versions (I play a passive bass with flats)

Dod fx25: wacky & out of control but kinda cool

Source audio pro: meh sounded fake

MXR BEF: could never get that blend balanced right, and wasn't my kinda quack.

I'm interested in the keely neutrino, and the DOD 440. I'm also all ears if the newer protons are better

2. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I tried the little Malekko E.Filter and hated it. I couldn't trigger it properly at all. Maybe it would work well with a hot active bass. YMMV.

Pacodelivery likes this.
  3. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    Mooer bass sweeper is more of a bass-ballz clone than an envelope, but it sounds good and is tiny.

I believe joyo makes one in the ironman series as well. That would be smaller still.

4. Pacodelivery

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Hey thanks I was looking at that one too but my bass is also low output so that's good to know

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  5. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    +1 on the Sweeper, I love mine.

NigelD likes this.
  6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    Earth
    Wait for the new MicroTron, from the creator of the original Mutron III.

7. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Huh. I only have passive basses, and I had no problems when I had the EFilter. I love its sound; it's very 440ish.

8. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    VFE Mini Mu is a really good one.

EDIT: Also, Vintage Multivox Big Jam Spit Wah...if you can find one.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Bo0tsy likes this.
  9. Tourniquet Man

Tourniquet Man

Jun 12, 2015
    Fwonkbeta and spacial delivery are where I would start.

10. Crazy Otto

Crazy Otto

Jan 11, 2016
    Germany
    Any of these pair particularly well with fuzz? I'm running a TAFM and a muff.

11. Pacodelivery

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Wait so you've tried the 440? That one was high on my list, cause it has both up and down sweeps (and I'm a big fan of DOD stuff.) Did you end up liking it?

12. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 15, 2003
    Vegas
    Not the 440 itself; I've had the Malekko and the MojoHand 442 though, both based on it, and I dug them. Neither of those does Down if I remember right though.

13. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    Henretta Green Zapper

here it is with guitar...

Randy Ward likes this.
  14. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    I'm really liking my new iron ether xerograph deluxe. It does downs, ups, has exp control and is standard pedal size.

the_Ryan and Nunovsky like this.
  15. Pacodelivery

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    The 442 is awesome! I tried it at a shop and really dug it, and even bought it once but the seller ended up sending it to the wrong place and canceled the sale then refunded me. I'm happier because in the interim I've found more needs for a down sweep.

If the 440 is like the 442 but with a downstroke I'd be super into it!

16. Pacodelivery

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    See, I shied away from this one, cause I saw a number of posts saying that it was best when used with an expression pedal. I'm more of an auto wah guy.

17. Jonny5bass

Jonny5bass

May 3, 2011
    Seattle, WA
    Fwiw, I'm not currently using an exp pedal with it. I set up a tube boost in front of it to mimic a moog mf 101 as best I could for the small board. It's not quite up to the moogs level but it's as close as I need for live.

18. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2011
    Rock City, TN
    I've got a Maxon AF-9 and a JohnK MuTron clone. They sound very similar to each other, and both sound excellent.

If you like the MuTron sound, either one would be a great choice.

Edit: The Maxon has a well-known, but slight, volume boost when engaged. It's very noticeable when playing alone, but not so much in the real world. The JohnK pedal has a volume control, which is very nice.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
    Jared Lash likes this.
  19. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I haven't tried JohnK's MuTron (though given his build quality and attention to detail I'm sure it's awesome) but the Maxon is an often overlooked pedal that is a nice MuTron III substitute. The sliders/settings can be a bit finicky but when dialed in it sounds great.

I'm a huge Xerograph fan. It's the most important pedal I own. I use it as a static low pass filter for fun stuff, as a way with an expression pedal, as a swept low pass filter as part of a synthy chain and definitely as a standalone envelope filter.

20. Pacodelivery

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    I've been interested in the Maxon for a while but have been concerned about dialing it in.

That being said I'm sure it's great. I have a vintage Maxon AD-9 and (that's on semi permanent loan to my g****rist) it's one of the best built pedals I've ever owned

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021