1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Small gig bass amp: suggestions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Amsterbelg, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Amsterbelg

Amsterbelg

Mar 5, 2013
    Hi boys and girls,

I just joined the site, I could use some suggestions, ideas etc...
    I'm looking to buy a new Bass Amp. Something that can handle a gig at a small bar (without PA).

I play a 1983 squier JV and our band (drums, guitar/singer) plays a varied range of indy rock music inspired by Eels, Velvet Underground, Calexico, Blur, Buffalo Tom, Foo Fighters, Joy Formidable and even some electronica like M83/Teddiedrum/Passion Pit/The naked and the famous.
    We mainly use old instruments and amps with body and character.

So I am looking for something with a warm unique sound, but solid enough to perform well in a small bar.

What brands, how many Watts, how big (or how small) would you guys suggest. I don't have an unlimited budget, so a price range between 300-750 euro would suit me fine.

Thanks for sending me on my way :)

Bart

2. Davyo

Davyo Davyo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Las Vegas, Nv
    Hi, and welcome to the forum.

Every one is going to suggest their favorite bass amp so let me be the first.

Gallien Kureger combos would be my suggestion,,,, the GK MB212 or the GK MB210,,,, both will do fine and then some for what you listed your needs are,,,, and,,,, they are super light, 41 and 35 lbs respectively,,, and very inexpensive.

Cheers
    Davyo

3. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Get an old fender musicmaster bass combo amp; basically a 12 watt tube combo w/ a 12" bass speaker... great amps... usually about $300...

4. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Jan 17, 2009
    N.H.
    300 watts
    1x15 inch cab
    or 2x10 cab

5. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    If you are just talking about amp heads, it's hard to beat the GK MB200. 200 watts, about the size of a hardback book, fits anywhere. Team it up with a 4 ohm cab, and you're good to go.

6. Ampeg Micro VR head and SVT210 cab...

7. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    ^This. The 115 cab will usually be bigger with more depth of sound.

8. Amsterbelg

Amsterbelg

Mar 5, 2013
    Great suggestions guys, I'll begin investigations and try outs! :)

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Be sure to get an amp you can add an extra speaker to if you want to later.

10. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    MarkBass CMD 121P. It's 350 watts into a single 12" speaker, small, light, with what I would call a vintage tone (better for fingerstyle than it is for slap). I use a 1x15 MarkBass extension cab with it, and that gives me 500 watts... loud enough to play outdoor gigs. Between the two I have all of the flexibility I need.

11. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    The Markbass stuff I've heard has a pretty warm tone. Only does clean though. For some character, etc. maybe the Micro VR or pf line from Ampeg or a GK combo + VT pedal for maximum versatility.

Oh, and something with 200-300 watts and a good 210 or 115 speaker section...maybe a really good 112, though I'd prefer a pair, should handle small pub gigs as long as the rest of your band is respectful of proper volume levels for a place like that and doesn't blast everybody out the door just because they can. Peaveys better 115 combos should do a good job too.

If looking at combos, it is a must that they be able to chain another speaker to it for times you need to.

12. Amsterbelg

Amsterbelg

Mar 5, 2013
    I am going to check out an Ampeg Micro VR head and SVT210 cab and an Ashdown Mag 300 stack with 2x10" and 1x15"

Thanks for your input.

13. Ed_too

Ed_too

Jan 9, 2009
    An swr redhead 2x10 combo is compact and portable and you can plug in a Baby Ben when you need more. I got found a clean used one for $700.

14. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Digital Brand Development and Product Development at GHS Strings
    Warwick's new combo line, specifically the BC150 and BC300, would fit your needs very well and are priced reasonably.

15. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I have a redhead. I dunno if 95 pounds its what if really consider portable. I'm gonna vote a GK MB series combo, which weighs in about 60 pounds lighter.

16. I think with ur bugdet u can get a second svt210av which would make that rig more versatile. with just the one cab u will get about 100-125watts and with both cabs the full 200. plus it looks cool!!!:bassist: i know ur across the pond so the ashdown stuff maybe cheaper. maybe

17. The smallest I currently go is a 410 because they are usually cheaper than 2 210 cabs. Oddly 2 ampeg 210av cabs is an exception to that. But I have yet to try them. If I found out they had the same speakers as the bigger 10 loaded cabs I might bite because the 810 and the 410he both sound great to me.

18. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Actually, it's 300w (at 8 ohms).